Removing rust on carboy lip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juse

Reaction score
I just got an extra 5 gal glass carboy & it has rust around the lip, I guess from a metal cap long ago. I've tried oxyclean, but no luck. How do I get this off? It's on the outside, but it really bugs me.

Thanks.

Try scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend. It's a powdered non-abrasive cleanser with a consistency sort of like Bon Ami, but it contains oxalic acid. That should do the trick.

According to this article How to Get RId of Rust Stains you can also soak in vinegar or lemon juice solutions. They are also mild acids.

I just got an extra 5 gal glass carboy & it has rust around the lip, I guess from a metal cap long ago. I've tried oxyclean, but no luck. How do I get this off? It's on the outside, but it really bugs me.

Thanks.

If it is rust then pool acid will take it right off. DANGER: Do not get this on your hands as it is highly corrosive! Then spray from a distance with a water hose.

Skip the pool acids and potential injury. Oxalic acid (often called "wood bleach") will remove it fast and with almost no risk of injury.

Skip the pool acids and potential injury. Oxalic acid (often called "wood bleach") will remove it fast and with almost no risk of injury.

Which is why I suggested using Bar Keeper's Friend.

By the way, wood bleach is 100% oxalic acid. If you want a cheaper source of oxalic acid than you'll find being sold as wood bleach, check out Artcraft Chemicals. One pound of oxalic acid from ArtCraft is $6.90, compared to something on the order of $8 or $9 for the typical 12 oz container of Wood Bleach.

Have you tried vinegar or CLR they are pretty good at removing rust too. The vinegar will take a long time to workthe CLR will be a lot faster. Just a thought before you run out and buy real acids.

good luck
John

Which is why I suggested using Bar Keeper's Friend.

By the way, wood bleach is 100% oxalic acid. If you want a cheaper source of oxalic acid than you'll find being sold as wood bleach, check out Artcraft Chemicals. One pound of oxalic acid from ArtCraft is $6.90, compared to something on the order of $8 or $9 for the typical 12 oz container of Wood Bleach.

+1 ..................

Does BKF contain oxalic? Very cool to know...

As for cheap and easy access: If you know someone in the pressure washing or deck restoration business, ask them. We pay about $1/lb.

Back