Removing painted labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caucasian

Reaction score
Anyone have tips to remove painted labels? I have a bunch of bombers i'd like to re-use that have painted labels. Just wanted to know if someone else tried this.

Starsan works. But I use lime-a-way. Really any acid based cleaner will remove the paint. Just soak for 24 hours then a scotch brite and a further soak will take off stubborn spots

as previously stated, star san works great... i soaked a stone bomber for an hour or two and the label scraped right off (with some help from the scotchbrite)

I had some good results from CLR. It was a tedious process doing only a couple bottles at a time, soaking for 24 hours, but it worked well. I have some pictures of it on my blog listed below.

I just made my first batch today and used #2 steel wool on my bottles. 30 seconds per bottle without any soaking or waiting. YMMV, but I didn't experience any scratching.

I have a couple dozen bombers soaking in StarSan in the driveway. Went out yesterday after a couple weeks and started taking labels off with the help of some Chor-Boy.

:D : Abita, Sweetwater - just really had to rinse them
:) : Stone, New Belgium - a little scraping needed
:mad: : Rogue - omg

I used muratic acid diluted with water at a 4:1 ratio. Just make sure to add the acid to the water.
Use in a well ventilated area with gloves as this stuff can burn your skin.
Rinse with clean water and any residue will come off with the green scotch brite.
I purchase the muratic acid in paint section at the hardware store.
This is same setup I use to also remove rust from parts and this stuff will cause stainless to rust.
Did several cases of corona bottles that I had acquired.

Latest posts

Back