Remove all seals on corny to clean/lube? Or is it damaging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GratefulBear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do you guys use a dental tool or similar to remove and clean/lube all the seals on your corny kegs? The ones on the post are a little tough to get off and I feel like I damage them a little when I remove them (I've been using a butter knife but maybe use a dental tool next time). Should I just leave them on and wash the posts as a whole / lube the exposed part or should I be fully disassembling them? Thanks

Do you guys use a dental tool or similar to remove and clean/lube all the seals on your corny kegs? The ones on the post are a little tough to get off and I feel like I damage them a little when I remove them (I've been using a butter knife but maybe use a dental tool next time). Should I just leave them on and wash the posts as a whole / lube the exposed part or should I be fully disassembling them? Thanks

I disassemble and remove all the internal o-rings (lid and dip tubes) to clean. I find it's virtually impossible to get the post o-rings off without destroying them, and they don't come into direct contact with beer. So I just clean the posts by soaking with them in place, and only remove them when they're worn and need replacement. I lube them, and spray the post with Star San before connecting the QD.

I honestly hardly ever actually remove the O-rings to clean. I typically just clean them where they are(hot water rinse). The ones one the dip tubes are easy enough to slide up and down while cleaning. I take apart my QDs occasionally and clean those but don't take off the tiny o-rings there either. I really only take off the keg post O-rings if I'm replacing them. I found those little corn on the cob skewer things work great for getting under the post O-rings and removing them without damage, if I need to.

There's no doubt removing and re-assembling posts will take some toll on O-rings, especially if installed dry as it can cause micro-tears on the O-ring surface ("Don't do that"). But if a keg has exhibited clogging one has to do what one must.

I'm pretty OC about keeping debris out of my kegs to begin with - have literally never plugged a poppet - and since I got a Mark II keg washer a couple of years ago I have not been removing posts at all. So far so good...

Cheers!

For my first couple of years of kegging I never removed the o-rings. I cleaned them in place, sanitized, lubed them and put the keg back together.

Then I had to replace a set because I filled one of the kegs with root beer for my son. Found that packs of 100 of each size are not that expensive on Amazon. I now remove and replace them every time. It's a personal choice. But 100 sets of o-rings is going to last me about 2 years if I replace them every time.

I find it's virtually impossible to get the post o-rings off without destroying them
I use one of those small "jewelers" screwdrivers, not the smallest, perhaps about 1/16" wide. I stick it, coming from the top, into the channel behind the o-ring and flip it over. Easy peasy, no damage, ever.

I have been kegging for 7-8 years and I built a keg washer and some of my kegs I have never replaced any of the o rings. Some of my kegs were “reconditioned” and had all new o rings and since I haven’t had to take them apart I just left them alone.

I did just order all new o rings and I am going to break down all my kegs shortly and clean and replace all the o rings since they have been sitting for awhile unused.

For the most part I just pop the lid, give them a quick spritz to get the sediment our the close them back up and run sanitizer through them with a garden sprayer that has a keg connector on the end.
Then I attach the other connector and let it blow out the dip tube for a bit.
Leave some in and just let them sit until needed.
Give them a good shake and pour out before filling.

Really only fully disassemble if I’ve been lazy and let them sit empty for a while without cleaning.

I break down my kegs completely every time....dip tubes and O-rings, poppets, PRV.....everything except for the o-rings on the QD posts

Use keg lube every time on all the rubber parts

Back