Removable HERMS coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humuleneman

Reaction score
I was wondering if making a 50' 1/2" OD copper HERMS coil with camlock connection would be useful in any ways? i first bought 1/2 SS compression fittings to install my copper coil. Then is was thinking of using a 3/8 to 1/2 inch reducing fitting silver soldered to 1/2 to 1/2 NPT copper fitting and then some camlock couplers. Would this setup be easier to clean? Is it bad to completely immerse camlock female coupler? Can a removable HERMS coil be a pro or a con to a HLT built?
Thanks

I have stout kettles with a triclamp removable herms coil. I use my hlt to circulate sanitizer through my hex and then after brewing to heat up pbw and backflush my hex. Not having the coil is great. It only touches water and I have less cleaning. I don't want to clean all the nooks and crannies. I flush with water and let it dry. Pretty handy.

Tri claps seems like a strong solution. Do you think 1\2 inch camlock would be able to handle the weight of a 50 ' copper coil?

The stout setup is designed in such a way that it rests on the bottom of the kettle, even with the TriClamp fittings.

I'd recommend doing something similar by soldering on a support bracket that rests on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back