Remembering ismellweird this November

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyclown

Reaction score
Hi all,

Occasionally I find myself re-reading that tragic Sewage in Kettle thread and I just realized this morning that last week marks 4 years since that chaos unfolded. It motivated me to assemble what I think were mell's greatest hits. Serious or not, the guy was half genius and half complete idiot, and so I hope you enjoy this stroll down memory lane as much as I enjoyed putting this list together.

In no particular order:

It happened very quickly and you can imagine my surprise to see sewage in my pot and my buddy throwing up

He actually asked me specifically not to brew it because he didn’t want to put me to work. However we are in contact with the caterer and as a gift to him I am switching brews and using my beer instead of his original concept

that should cover me from having committed a crime which I would like to avoid at this wedding

In fact I've managed to get the money refunded directly back to myself and I'll be gifting it back to him.

I'm in the truck using text to speech, it's very difficult, probably can't do much of this but I'll be in rapid city with my plumber eh woah that was a close one.

Yes thank you, Mario confirmed this wasn't a clean water filter and shouldn't be used

Lesson learned don’t just go pulling parts from your neighbors trash without knowing exactly what it is.

Next week when its trash day I'll just do what I did and wait until after midnight and just put it back with the trash.

why invent the wheel when I've already got what I need to just make it.

Hi guys, just looking for instructions on how to make a water tight box or vessel for the beer, ideally by friday at 3.

Thanks everyone I'm going with the simpler plan of just mulching the board(s) after sanding

If what you say is true, and I'm doubtful -- then it means my brewery will be in the next OJ Simpson movie.

He gave me that "****" wink with his eye as he left

OJ is the guy who was arrested for having his memorabilia stolen

With my luck this is a documentary about celebrity impersonators that nobody will ever see. Maybe they'll pay me for a product mention at the very least!

I had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I spent it by myself working on the pipe in the barn with my plumber buddy

There are dozens of beers I drink every day that haven't been around that long.

people want to see a small brewery like is_mell_weird succeed over a big mass produced giant like Anheiser's Bush

In New England because of the very cold winters they prefer a style of IPA that is very green and cloudy right out of the fermenter.

I agree I am lucky. Lucky like Jerry or Drew or Kato. These guys didn’t have to work very much but now are famous and rich

First time on the bike after 30 years he had a horrible accident he literally drove off a cliff.

What a field day you will have when you learn my Uncle's name was Cliff.

The world needs to heal and this is why I will bring them as much of my beer as possible.

Guys I’m reaching the end of my ropes

Yes comma I can start a new thread.

There was a guy once who made something and it was in a movie and now it’s a common household item. That movie was E.T. and the product was the speak and spell.

You could just say that and move on. Instead you all insist on the gang style verbal pummeling.

Don’t have good clubs and no money to buy as all of my cash was put into a bitcoin. Not even a bitcoin just a piece of one.and I don’t even know where it is.

No, sorry, it’s not an actual coin it’s a cryptic currency

Can you believe Vegas is the one last place on earth with legalized rodeo, can’t say I shocked.

Why does it say open in new tab. Open in new window. Close chrome. Close. What the ****.

I told them it was a very professional look alike but how do they expect me to know his name when he pretends to be somebody else.

Based on what Youre saying I’m probably wrong about rodeos being illegal.

I was thinking about another one that has been happening where animals are taught to fight for hundreds of years, something I find highly offensive

I taste maybe onion and a spice that reminds me of pie, I think clothes. Just a well crafted beer.

i'm thinking to try things that take it next level. My cousin works at a factory and has access to bad cupcakes

Put my shoes on your feet. How do they feel. Not too good, I bet.

I had a similar discovery regarding a cupcake stout. I seem to always be stumbling on things.

In no particular order:

<snip>

I had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I spent it by myself working on the pipe in the barn with my plumber buddy

xQ0F6f7.jpg

Ah, the wit and wisdom of ismellweird. Good times.

Last edited:
Hi guys, just looking for instructions on how to make a water tight box or vessel for the beer, ideally by friday at 3.
That's a good example of homebrew humor!
They're possibly more entertaining this way, when ripped from their context.

Reminds me of the (secret) compendia of outstanding quotes and phrases by our clients... when working at service providing agencies.

i don't think that was gary, before my time...but i remember someone saying someone was a comedic troll and asked it....but when i tried googling with site thing and everything to find the thread....all i got was a bunch of kombucha stuff about babies?

maybe just a misunderstanding between a beer brewer, and bucha brewer?

edit: and i find it funny i'm the ONLY one trying to defend the fallen!!! ;) :mug:

Occasionally I find myself re-reading that tragic Sewage in Kettle thread and I just realized this morning that last week marks 4 years since that chaos unfolded. It motivated me to assemble what I think were mell's greatest hits. Serious or not, the guy was half genius and half complete idiot, and so I hope you enjoy this stroll down memory lane as much as I enjoyed putting this list together.

Poor Mell, never got that brewery going either...I wonder what happened LoL

Because but for the grace of Mod(s) there go you?

Just kidding, I liked the funny ones too, but many of the vanquished were just unpleasant trolls.

i just remember poor dear to my heart bearcat, guy showed up about the same time as i did...and asked i want to save money on my hooch....i was like "something i can contribute?"... :mug:

I wondered the same thing. I decided that, since “Mel” was usually spelled without the second “l”, it must be I Smell Weird. But, as noted, we’ll never know.
I was never sure if his handle ismellweird meant:
Is Mell Weird
or
I Smell Weird.

Guess we'll never know.

Dude definitely said he made a mistake and it was supposed to be Is Mell Weird?

He played it off like it wasn't a big deal but man was it LoL

Dude definitely said he made a mistake and it was supposed to be Is Mell Weird?

He played it off like it wasn't a big deal but man was it LoL

with the sewage thing...they mean the same right? just one is a question, the other is a statement? but this is all before my time..... :mug: lol

I wondered the same thing. I decided that, since “Mel” was usually spelled without the second “l”, it must be I Smell Weird. But, as noted, we’ll never know.

Yeah he definitely said more than a few times that he meant "IsMellWeird" but without the capitalization it took on another unfortunate meaning. Supposedly didn't realize it until people here pointed it out. And by that time had already printed it on signage and marketing materials for his new brewery lol.

The post that started it all

Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm Mel from North Dakota. My grandfather in Illinois was planning a brewery and purchased all equipment but passed away and I've been given his stuff. I don't even know what most of it is but several large tanks i assume for bubbling the beer and sump pumps and computer equipment. I admit i'm over my head and where I live they don't do much brewing but I plan to use it. Growing up people would always ask "Is Mell weird?" and the answer is no, but my brewery someday will be Is Mell Weird brewing, I'm already working on some paperwork. Anyway nice to meet you all and I will probably ask a lot of questions and things. I don't know much about making a beer, i was always more into hunting but have drank a fair amount of the cheapest beer in my time. Maybe to much and that's why they call me weird? Ha! See you around.

Hi all,

In no particular order:

It happened very quickly and you can imagine my surprise to see sewage in my pot and my buddy throwing up

He actually asked me specifically not to brew it because he didn’t want to put me to work. However we are in contact with the caterer and as a gift to him I am switching brews and using my beer instead of his original concept

that should cover me from having committed a crime which I would like to avoid at this wedding

In fact I've managed to get the money refunded directly back to myself and I'll be gifting it back to him.

I'm in the truck using text to speech, it's very difficult, probably can't do much of this but I'll be in rapid city with my plumber eh woah that was a close one.

Yes thank you, Mario confirmed this wasn't a clean water filter and shouldn't be used

Lesson learned don’t just go pulling parts from your neighbors trash without knowing exactly what it is.

Next week when its trash day I'll just do what I did and wait until after midnight and just put it back with the trash.

why invent the wheel when I've already got what I need to just make it.

Thanks everyone I'm going with the simpler plan of just mulching the board(s) after sanding

If what you say is true, and I'm doubtful -- then it means my brewery will be in the next OJ Simpson movie.

He gave me that "****" wink with his eye as he left

OJ is the guy who was arrested for having his memorabilia stolen

With my luck this is a documentary about celebrity impersonators that nobody will ever see. Maybe they'll pay me for a product mention at the very least!

There are dozens of beers I drink every day that haven't been around that long.

people want to see a small brewery like is_mell_weird succeed over a big mass produced giant like Anheiser's Bush

In New England because of the very cold winters they prefer a style of IPA that is very green and cloudy right out of the fermenter.

I agree I am lucky. Lucky like Jerry or Drew or Kato. These guys didn’t have to work very much but now are famous and rich

First time on the bike after 30 years he had a horrible accident he literally drove off a cliff.

What a field day you will have when you learn my Uncle's name was Cliff.

The world needs to heal and this is why I will bring them as much of my beer as possible.

Guys I’m reaching the end of my ropes

Yes comma I can start a new thread.

There was a guy once who made something and it was in a movie and now it’s a common household item. That movie was E.T. and the product was the speak and spell.

You could just say that and move on. Instead you all insist on the gang style verbal pummeling.

Don’t have good clubs and no money to buy as all of my cash was put into a bitcoin. Not even a bitcoin just a piece of one.and I don’t even know where it is.

No, sorry, it’s not an actual coin it’s a cryptic currency

Can you believe Vegas is the one last place on earth with legalized rodeo, can’t say I shocked.

Why does it say open in new tab. Open in new window. Close chrome. Close. What the ****.

I told them it was a very professional look alike but how do they expect me to know his name when he pretends to be somebody else.

Based on what Youre saying I’m probably wrong about rodeos being illegal.

I was thinking about another one that has been happening where animals are taught to fight for hundreds of years, something I find highly offensive

I taste maybe onion and a spice that reminds me of pie, I think clothes. Just a well crafted beer.

i'm thinking to try things that take it next level. My cousin works at a factory and has access to bad cupcakes

Put my shoes on your feet. How do they feel. Not too good, I bet.

I had a similar discovery regarding a cupcake stout. I seem to always be stumbling on things.
What happened ? Did he die ?

He got banned, I believe.

In my opinion there is no way he was not aware of the duel meaning of his handle.

Came across another of the departed, randy_bugger, and noticed his repeated posts in this thread, starting at post #13. Would not be that weird except it was 2013: Beer snob meme generator

Came across another of the departed, randy_bugger, and noticed his repeated posts in this thread, starting at post #13. Would not be that weird except it was 2013: Beer snob meme generator

That's actually really creepy. I mean, coronavirus has always been around (the common flu is a type of coronavirus) and Lysol has always listed on the back that it kills coronavirus.... But in my entire life I'd never heard the word used even in a joking context. I've always been 1% sure there are active time travelers on our planet, because of coincidences like this.

That's actually really creepy. I mean, coronavirus has always been around (the common flu is a type of coronavirus) and Lysol has always listed on the back that it kills coronavirus.... But in my entire life I'd never heard the word used even in a joking context. I've always been 1% sure there are active time travelers on our planet, because of coincidences like this.
Wow man. That's heavy

He got banned, I believe.

I'm probably the one, though not sure. I banned lots (1000's) of spammers that you don't care about. I did ban a few members that I really regret. They asked for it and deserved it, but they were also frequent contributors to this site and provided some awesome and funny content. Anyone remember @cheezydemon3?

Mods are here to enforce rules they didn't create. There is, as with all things in life, some subjectiveness. But most permabans are earned, often repeatedly.

This is a pretty relaxed forum, which is why I waste some time here. Forums w/o some kind of civility expectations often become unpleasant. Thank you for your efforts here.

Mods are here to enforce rules they didn't create. There is, as with all things in life, some subjectiveness. But most permabans are earned, often repeatedly.

This is a pretty relaxed forum, which is why I waste some time here. Forums w/o some kind of civility expectations often become unpleasant. Thank you for your efforts here.

+1 i know i goof off a lot, but i try and keep it somewhere in between Chevy Chase, and Jim Carey.....

Maybe Mells not banned. I don’t remember him doing anything worth banning

Back