Relative yeast and wort temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortura

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer on Saturday - The Cincinnati Pale Ale from John Palmer's How to Brew. While it seems to be doing its thing, it took a while (24-36 hours) to start bubbling, and even now after 72 hours it is still only bubbling slowly. Now, I've read the various "don't panic" threads, so I'm not especially worried, but I was wondering what I might do differently next time to get it moving a bit faster.

One thing I was wondering about specifically is getting the yeast and wort temperatures right. Following Palmer's recipe, I rehydrated my yeast (Lallemand BRY-97) with 30 minutes of boil to go, in pre-boiled water cooled to 34C. Having cooled my wort to about 21C, the yeast solution was still around 27C. I figured this might be too warm, so I sat my yeast jar in the sink in some cold (tap cold, not ice cold) water until it was down to about 23C when I pitched it. Is it possible I might have shocked the yeast by sitting it in the cold water, and need I have bothered to cool it down? Should I have just been more patient perhaps?

I don't think aeration was the problem because I poured the wort back and forth until it was nice and foamy, so I'm wondering if it was a yeast problem, or perhaps a poor seal leading to the slow bubbles.

Next, time the plan is to a) make a starter, and b) have a hydrometer to use. I wish i'd read these forums earlier because making a starter sounds like a no-brainer, and further, it's hard to have a conversation about fermentation without gravity readings. Still, I have had a peek at my brew and there seems to be a nice foamy krausen going on, so hopefully I will have something resembling beer at the end of this.

Any advice on the yeast pitching would be appreciated. Cheers all!

So, having posted this, I discovered the spec sheet for the yeast I used, which has more specific usage instructions than the back of the pack.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/system/...rican-west-coast-yeast-english.pdf?download=1

In particular the rehydration instructions say to leave for 15 minutes in warm water, then stir and leave for 5 minutes, then attemperate (is that a word?) gradually by adding wort, then pitching immediately. It also says:

Do not allow attemperation to be carried out by natural heat loss. This will take too long and could result in loss of viability or vitality.​

So I guess I've learnt something for next time. Interestingly it says it is unnecessary to aerate the wort. Surely that can't hurt though, right?

Things are probably just fine. As far as yeast goes, you don't really do a starter with dry yeast, and rehydrating really doesn't even seem necessary for normal gravity beers. You're good though as rehydrating certainly won't hurt. I think above 1.060 OG might be a point to consider rehydrating in the future or more simply pitching a couple packs. You're seeing airlock activity - should be just fine - RDWHAHB :mug:

*Edit - Quoting Palmer in sec 9.3: "The fermentation activity can be vigorous or slow; either is fine. The three important factors for a successful fermentation are pitching enough yeast, good wort nutrients, and maintaining a consistent temperature in the correct range. If you do these right, it is common for an ale's primary fermentation to be done in 48 hours. Three days at 65-70¡F for primary fermentation is typical for the simple pale ale being described here."

Back