Relative acid strength of pure Ascorbic Acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
If I've carried out the pKa based computations correctly, the relative acid strength of Ascorbic Acid within the ballpark pH range of 5.4 to 5.5 should be on the order of ~5.435 mEq/gram. Does anyone have the means to confirm this?

Provisionally, 1 gram of Ascorbic Acid when added to 1 gallon of ~12 Plato (1.048 SG) and ~35 mEq/kg_pH BC (buffering coefficient) Wort at an initial room temperature pH of 5.45 should bring its pH down to ~pH 5.4107

1.048 SG ~= 1.044 g/CC density

(5.45 - pHz) = 5.435/(35 x (3.7854 x 1.044))
(5.45 - pHz) = 0.0393
pHz = 5.4107

Last edited:
It's interesting, because the dose of ascorbic acid that it seems it is appropriate to use to avoid the superoxidizer effect is about that, or slightly below (5 grams on a 20 litres batch, or something less, probably not less than 3 grams is appropriate).

I don't think this degree of acidification would disturb the secondary fermentation in the bottle, but the most important question to me is: would it alter the flavour? Would it be perceivable either with a specific taste or would the acidity be perceived?

Back