Reinforced hi-temp hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stunsm

Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago I managed to blow up a hose while flushing my pump. Thankfully it was only cold water, but it scared the crap out of me, and left me thinking about finding tougher hose. Anyone have any sources for 1/2", hi temp, braided or otherwise much tougher than the tan hi-temp stuff that Northern Brewer sells?

The stuff I use us the semi-transparent white tubing (silicon). Not had an issue with it yet but I'm also just starting to use a pump. Rebel Brewer carries the stuff as does the LHBS I visit. It is more flexible than the tan stuff so it probably gives more rather than failing.

if you just remember to open your valves before turning on the water you wouldnt have to spend more money on reinforced hose... ;)

dont worry though, ive done it once or twice myself. certainly wakes you up.

I never popped a hose but I have turned them into water balloons. This is actually a good reason to leave the clamps off. I'd rather have it slip off than to inflate and explode.

if you just remember to open your valves before turning on the water you wouldnt have to spend more money on reinforced hose... ;)

dont worry though, ive done it once or twice myself. certainly wakes you up.

That is one way to look at it, but after a particularly painful trip to the ER for a major scald a few years back, I'd rather not even take the chance. A plugged valve in the mash tun or something similar could turn real nasty really fast.

I haven't tried, but I don't think a March pump will create enough pressure to rupture a silicon hose. I came close once to popping a thermoplastic hose with tap water pressure. Since then I am very careful not to "connect" the tap water to my rig. I use separate hoses that are potable water safe and rated for household pressures but not high temp.

Ed

Or you can get it from the regular vendors from here... Such as Rebel Brewer... The 1/8" wall is what I have...

Is the thick walled tubing any less prone to ballooning or slipping off barbed fittings? There's probably some floating around somewhere on Ebay.

I'd rather get this as 100% guaranteed brand new than something from ebay. I've used it without issue both with and without a pump. I've also used it with and without hose clamps without issue. As long as you use the 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barb fittings, you shouldn't have any issue.

I would make sure you open up any return leg valves after the pump while running through the pump. Then again, I consider that 'common sense' which is far too uncommon it seems.

I'd rather get this as 100% guaranteed brand new than something from ebay. I've used it without issue both with and without a pump. I've also used it with and without hose clamps without issue. As long as you use the 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barb fittings, you shouldn't have any issue.

I would make sure you open up any return leg valves after the pump while running through the pump. Then again, I consider that 'common sense' which is far too uncommon it seems.

I have no fear of buying from well rated sellers. Yeah, it could be dicey with a one time buy from an unrated seller, but that's just common sense.

So, you are saying that the thick walled tubing will still balloon when subjected to even the meager pump pressures we commonly deal with? That's certainly a disappointment. I was expecting it to be able to handle 5 or 6 psi at least without blowing up like sausage.

So, you are saying that the thick walled tubing will still balloon when subjected to even the meager pump pressures we commonly deal with? That's certainly a disappointment. I was expecting it to be able to handle 5 or 6 psi at least without blowing up like sausage.

I've used that thick silicone tubing for a while with a march 809 HS and I've never had any issues and I can't really see how it could happen if it's not being subjected to water faucet pressures. Morebeer has it listed as rated to 20psi and bursting at 30 psi. I don't see how the pumps we typically use, i.e. the march/chugger could even do that. If they can, I'd gladly buy the expensive silbrade stuff.

I have no fear of buying from well rated sellers. Yeah, it could be dicey with a one time buy from an unrated seller, but that's just common sense.

The thick wall silicon tubing will not "balloon" with March pump pressure.
After my previous post in this thread, I realized I test this theory all the time.
I have a ball valve on my MT at the return to control flow during fly sparging and re-circulation. I've never had the silicon between the pump output and the ball valve show any sign of ballooning.

I'm working on a separate "supply water" manifold for my rig to make sure I never expose the silicon to household water pressure.

I was about to disagree because I have ballooned the thickwall silicone post march pump due to closing off a valve further downstream but I remembered that it was during a rinse cycle where the input was fed with the garden hose (70psi). Carry on.

I would not hesitate to buy surplus reinforced silicone tubing from any Ebay seller. No one makes cheap knockoff reinforced silicone. It's all Cole Palmer medical grade stuff usually. If you think it's sketchy, that's good because less people to bid against.

I was about to disagree because I have ballooned the thickwall silicone post march pump due to closing off a valve further downstream but I remembered that it was during a rinse cycle where the input was fed with the garden hose (70psi). Carry on.

I would not hesitate to buy surplus reinforced silicone tubing from any Ebay seller. No one makes cheap knockoff reinforced silicone. It's all Cole Palmer medical grade stuff usually. If you think it's sketchy, that's good because less people to bid against.

That's the same mistake I made with thermoplastic hose... connecting the garden hose to a pump for a quick rinse.

I've blown a few fittings, but it was my own fault, connected the water out to the wort out on the plate chiller with everything still hooked up and the valve on my kettle closed, the hoses blow off the plate chiller really quickly!

That is one way to look at it, but after a particularly painful trip to the ER for a major scald a few years back, I'd rather not even take the chance. A plugged valve in the mash tun or something similar could turn real nasty really fast.

the only times ive done it has been while flushing parts of the system with the garden hose... how are you popping hoses while in the middle of brewing and while full of hot liquid?? that is one strong pump you must have...:confused:

I've had a few near misses with non-clamped hoses detaching from the barbs. The hoses can soften when exposed to elevated temperatures. This lessens their "grip" and they can come off. I now make frequent inspections. Even clamps that were relatively tight when the hose was cool might not be as tight when heated. One of my near misses almost got me in the face with scalding hot water. That was enough of a warning for me. I also wear safety glasses when I brew. I don't want to lose an eye over this hobby.

I came across this thread looking for a good high temp, high pressure tubing that can be used for both my plate chiller waste line and as a hot water line for spraying out my system (so it will be hooked up to my sink on one end and a high temp nozzle on the other end). I'm using QD's, so the line will have double duty. After looking at reinforced silicone I wanted to find something less expensive. I found a cheap high temp nozzle on amazon, so how about this for the tubing - http://www.mscdirect.com/product/79219366?fromRR=Y. The hot water for this shouldn't be boiling and I think that regular faucet pressure is only around 70-80, so I believe this hose should work...right?

Back