Regulator Washer - how do I use these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokonutz

Reaction score
Hi...new, soon to be, keg brewer here. I finally got my tank and regulator. I see there are two (nylon, I assume) white washers zip tied to my regulator. My quick research implies I should stick one of these between the tank and the regulator (which has a black o-ring on the gas side). The 2nd i assume is a spare? Or do i need this washer, given the integrated o-ring? I attached an image

If indeed this washer is to fit between regulator and tank, do I apply it clean (no lube or agent between)? Just want to get this right, as it appears necessary to keep gas from leaking?

Thanks all

Attachments

• 124A8210-1220-4804-8889-48B8DDE7CECF.JPG
    124A8210-1220-4804-8889-48B8DDE7CECF.JPG
    818.5 KB · Views: 71
What brand is your regulator? Some come with a soft "permanent" gasket, and yours looks like it might be one of those. If so, there's no need to use the harder plastic kind. OTOH, if that's the case, it's odd that your regulator came with the white gaskets attached.

ETA: Those white things look too thick to be regulator gaskets, at least the ones that I've seen.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that one, but looking at the one in your link, it appears to have a different stem design, i.e. the pic on amazon does not have a "permanent" gasket like yours appears to have.

My best guess is that you don't need to use another gasket. Maybe someone else who has this brand can chime in.

My Taprite nitro reg has a similar captive o-ring style coupler, and as long as that o-ring is intact that is all I ever use. But when it developed a tear during a cylinder refill I used a nylon flare gasket similar to those shown until new o-rings arrived...

Cheers!

I think that's what we're trying to say, yes :)
But, again, don't toss the generic "crush washers". I don't know about your specific regulator, but Taprite's require a specific quad-ring and if you ever ding the captive 'ring you can use the nylon one until you get a replacement captive 'ring...

Cheers!

i'm no pro-kegger, but i HATE the tap-rite oring, supossedly supposed to seal o-ring, always use a nylon washer with it...most of my co2 tank swap, are steel with a groove in the valve right where that stupid thing is supposed to seal....

edit: i think that damn o-ring, is why is a big reason i keep my tank on a scale now! to many tanks gone...now i keep a close eye, watch that thing to the .1 oz....every pour....I HATE LOSING A TANK!

Last edited:
I tend to agree, it's the one thing about Taprite's that kinda bugs me a tiny bit. But I damaged the original quad ring rotating the regulator while the coupler was a bit tight and with zero lubrication on the Buna-N quad ring. Pretty much a fatal combination - it's the same thing that can trash those small O-rings under corny keg dip tube flanges when installing posts without lubricating that O-ring first ("Don't do that")...

Cheers!

I tend to agree,

damn, i got a dip tube all out a wack, in one of my kegs.....you tellin' me i need to lube them up before i screw it down? do i need keg-lube, like personal, or can i get away with something generic like vasoline? i replaced the rubber, but when i screwed it in, it was kinda crooked, and i've been worried it might leak?

I tend to agree, it's the one thing about Taprite's that kinda bugs me a tiny bit. But I damaged the original quad ring rotating the regulator while the coupler was a bit tight and with zero lubrication on the Buna-N quad ring. Pretty much a fatal combination - it's the same thing that can trash those small O-rings under corny keg dip tube flanges when installing posts without lubricating that O-ring first ("Don't do that")...

Since you have some experience with Taprites...
I've had to replace the O-rings in a couple of these. I notice that when tightening the O-ring's capture screw, the O-ring tends to deform/pop-out unevenly. Is there such a thing as over-tightening this screw? Is there a trick I've been missing?

I have only had to replace that o-ring once. It is interesting how a new one gets "pinched" in place. I did not have any issues with the new one, it stayed seated in place with no evident bulging out. I did put a film of keg lube on it first, though...

[edit] I believe I screwed the brass bit all the way down, but can't swear to that...

Cheers!

For regulators with "permanent" rubber o-rings, like this, how tight should the regulator be installed. I already ruined a couple of the nice flat o-rings (pictured below) on my tap rite regulator. They are softer than they look. When I tightened it tight, it leaked because the o-ring got deformed. I've tried just barley tight and I still have a small leak. Is there a rule of thumb, like hand tight then a 1/4 turn or something? Thanks!

You tighten the regulator nut about as tight as you can with a 12" adjustable wrench. Those square orings are almost completely captured in the groove and shouldn't be ruined by tightening. What usually ruins them is that people let the stem/regulator rotate against the tank as it's getting tightened. The regulator should remain in the final orientation while you tighten the nut. The other thing is that many people don't know that the oring gets removed/installed by removing the center post with an allen key so it's possible the oring is sticking out too far.

You tighten the regulator nut about as tight as you can with a 12" adjustable wrench. Those square orings are almost completely captured in the groove and shouldn't be ruined by tightening. What usually ruins them is that people let the stem/regulator rotate against the tank as it's getting tightened. The regulator should remain in the final orientation while you tighten the nut. The other thing is that many people don't know that the oring gets removed/installed by removing the center post with an allen key so it's possible the oring is sticking out too far.
Thanks! That explains why I keep ruining those square surface o-ring. I usually let the regulator turn quite a bit as I'm wrenching it down.

Those are what my old cheapo-regulator used and I only keep them on hand in the event I fail to practice as @Bobby_M stated above, because I know that in an emergency, any nylon or fibre gasket can provide a seal with enough cranking... My actual preference is to handle my o-rings on the Taprites properly so they continue to work as designed.(...and replace my last cheapo regulator with Taprite or Micromatic when I can afford to) ;)

Back