Regulator Problems !?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdurt

Reaction score
I was in the process of cleaning everything up between refills on my 2 corny kegs and noticed my regulator was sticking pretty bad when adjusting pressures. This was due to me allowing beer to backfeed once while force carbing and not following the steps correctly. Turned down the pressure on my regulator without closing the valve and depressurizing the keg.

Anyway, I disassembled the regulator and cleaned everything well. Now once reassembled, the blow off valve is leaking co2. I cant get it to stop. Anyone have any experience with regulators?

Also, its a Tap-rite 3740 series single gage regulator.

You may need to zero it out with the canister closed. Then open the canister full and then adjust the pressure on the regulator.

Were you trying to carbonate through the liquid out dip tube? How can beer get into the CO2 line unless you were doing that or the keg was filled too high and was up to the short gas in dip tube?

In any event, I believe that the safety valve will vent if it sees tank pressure due to a damaged diaphragm. Maybe pull it apart again and see if the diaphragm is damaged in any way or perhaps is not sitting in it's seat correctly.

Here's a link to a Tap Rite 37 Regulator Repair Kit if you end up needing it.

100_8599.jpg

Were you trying to carbonate through the liquid out dip tube? How can beer get into the CO2 line unless you were doing that or the keg was filled too high and was up to the short gas in dip tube?[...]

"Shake 'n' Bake" burst carb, maybe?

Always risky, unless one has a check valve in the gas line...

Cheers!

"Shake 'n' Bake" burst carb, maybe?

Always risky, unless one has a check valve in the gas line...

Cheers!

True, didn't think about that. I have check valves in all my gas lines to make sure all kegs are isolated from each other.

I figured it out. Turns out I tightened the housing too tight which was causing the needle to compress and over pressurizing the safety valve. At least I know it works. :)

Plus I gained valuable knowledge.

Thanks for the replies.

ForumRunner_20120130_195126.jpg

Back