Regulator leaking in back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhngml

Reaction score
Hi, Folks - I have a leak in the very back of my Corny regulator, at what appears to be the large head of a bolt or screw. I lost a full tank of CO2 overnight, and did the soap test to find the leak - I'm confident as to where it is. The problem is that I can't seem to tighten OR loosen the bolt/screw at all, and when I disassembled the regulator, there appeared to be no access to it from the inside. So, I'm left with a regulator that leaks from a point I can't adjust, but that otherwise works just fine. Is there a diagram of the anatomy of the dual-valve Corny regulator anywhere (couldn't find one after searching)? Does anyone have a suggestion based on previous experiences? No leaks anywhere else on the regulator, this is really it.

Thanks,
John

I just found some regulators at the scrap yard. They are Tapright brand, and they have a screw mount in the back, and also a pressure relief valve back there, too. The mounting screw are should have no where to leak from. The PRV could leak though, especially if the seal or O ring is old and hardened.

That's a Cornelius regulator. Parts for those can be found at both of the links I posted earlier. If you can't get that plug out, you are going to need a wrench or socket that fits tightly (no adjustable wrench here) and get the body of the regulator in a solid vice. Just a note, the fittings on the primary side are left hand thread. I don't know if that includes that plug. Looking at Northern Brewer's site, the rebuild kit comes with a diagram and instructions.
image_2804.jpg

You might call one of these sellers and discuss your issue.

I have a leaking Cornelius regulator with that same leak - the top of that hexagonal nut sticking out of the back of the regulator. Did you ever get this resolved? What is the solution?

A couple of shots (front and back) of the regulator. Notice the bolt/screw at the very center of the rear (second) picture - that's where the bubbles were forming.

The duct tape on the connection to the tank is only to avoid losing the nylon washer.

Thanks!
John

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/50645110@N08/ - in case the link didn't work)

Hope to be able to let you know later today, Dave. I bought and installed the repair kit - very easy - but since I had a leak, my CO2 was empty. I'll refill the tank today and see how it goes. I have a feeling it's going to work; wasn't sure, originally, if the repair kit would include parts for the back of the regulator, but it did. One note: I couldn't remove the nut the first time I tried, while using an adjustable wrench; bought a combination (fixed) wrench set, and it came off just fine.

Back