Regulator leakdown question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoodyLane

Reaction score
I finally have enough parts to setup my kegerator. I got a 10lb bottle, 2 kegs and a taprite 740 regulator. Question is, when I first pressure tested my keg I noticed the high side pressure bled off fairly quick after I turned off my bottle. I had the shutoff on the regulator off so the pressure was going somewhere else. I disassembled the regulator and checked the diaphragm and needle. The needle and seat was a little oxidized and easily cleaned and the diaphragm was in good shape. Its much better now but I see the high pressure needle drop 100lbs after being shut off for an hour or so. That sound normal to y'all? I was expecting no pressure drop and I don't want to be wasting gas needlessly..

I finally have enough parts to setup my kegerator. I got a 10lb bottle, 2 kegs and a taprite 740 regulator. Question is, when I first pressure tested my keg I noticed the high side pressure bled off fairly quick after I turned off my bottle. I had the shutoff on the regulator off so the pressure was going somewhere else. I disassembled the regulator and checked the diaphragm and needle. The needle and seat was a little oxidized and easily cleaned and the diaphragm was in good shape. Its much better now but I see the high pressure needle drop 100lbs after being shut off for an hour or so. That sound normal to y'all? I was expecting no pressure drop and I don't want to be wasting gas needlessly..

Assuming you have sprayed star san or soapy water on all areas that gauges attach, disconnects...basically your entire gas system? Also, are you testing outside your kegerator, then re-checking an hour later while your gas bottle and regulator assembly have been under refrigeration?

I learned to open the gas bottle valve all the way instead of cracking it a turn or two.

Are you putting teflon tape on the connection? I made that mistake early in my kegging days, and a guy at Airgas told me that I shouldn't be doing that. Cleared up a problem that sounds very similar to what you're mentioning when I stopped doing that.

Assuming you have sprayed star san or soapy water on all areas that gauges attach, disconnects...basically your entire gas system? Also, are you testing outside your kegerator, then re-checking an hour later while your gas bottle and regulator assembly have been under refrigeration?

I learned to open the gas bottle valve all the way instead of cracking it a turn or two.

Yeah I sprayed It all down. No leaks in the line but I'm getting some bubbles from the vent at the front of the regulator under the adjustment screw. I triple checked the diaphragm with a bright flashlight and it's good. I noticed this morning when I played with the adjusting screw It started leaking down again.

It was in the fridge over night so that shouldn't be an issue. Fully opening the valve makes sense to reduce the chance of leakage at the valve. I don't leave my gas on all the time though.

Are you putting teflon tape on the connection? I made that mistake early in my kegging days, and a guy at Airgas told me that I shouldn't be doing that. Cleared up a problem that sounds very similar to what you're mentioning when I stopped doing that.

I don't see any tape on the connections so I think we're good there

Are you putting teflon tape on the connection? I made that mistake early in my kegging days, and a guy at Airgas told me that I shouldn't be doing that. Cleared up a problem that sounds very similar to what you're mentioning when I stopped doing that.[/QUOT

I'm interested in learning this. I have always used Teflon pipe sealer tape on all my fitting's threads. I have two different regulators, one is a Taprite that doesn't need a washer on the main fitting to the tank. My other regulator (not a Taprite) uses a corrugated looking washer for a sealer. On both, I use Teflon tape on the threads on the tank, but I have never had a problem. Is it suggested to discontinue use of tape on this particular fitting?

Back