Regulator leak.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kluxen

Reaction score
My co2 tank is running out very quickly. I'm afraid there might be a leak in the connections on my regulator. If I submerge it in water will that ruin the gauges?

I would not submerge the gauges

I'd use some sanitizer in a spray bottle just spray it around all connections and look for bubbles.

Tim

Soapy water and a paint brush - a pin hole leak will empty a 20# tank in under a day.....

I'd concur with either above advice.

I'd add that this topic might fit better in the "Kegging/Bottling" section as it has absolutely nothing to do with all-grain brewing. Sorry to be a jerk about it, but then again, no I'm not.

Don't forget to "soap" the weep hole in the regulator. I had a heck of a time finding a leak in my system. Turned out to be a problem inside the regulator itself. The seat in the regulator was leaking. CO2 was leaking out through the weep hole in the regulator body.

jfrizzell said:
Don't forget to "soap" the weep hole in the regulator. I had a heck of a time finding a leak in my system. Turned out to be a problem inside the regulator itself. The seat in the regulator was leaking. CO2 was leaking out through the weep hole in the regulator body.

How long did it take to empty the tank with that leak? I have went through two tanks in the last 5-6 months and can't seem to find the leak anywhere. Have sprayed all the connections on the kegs, no bubbles, now thinking that it has to be in the regulator.

How long did it take to empty the tank with that leak? I have went through two tanks in the last 5-6 months and can't seem to find the leak anywhere. Have sprayed all the connections on the kegs, no bubbles, now thinking that it has to be in the regulator.

I'd say my leak rate was about the same as yours. I had a heck of a time finding the leak. I finally took the regulator apart and checked for a leak internally. If you turn off your gas, you can take the 4 screws out of the regulator and disassemble the regulator. Once disassembled, you can turn the gas back on. Inside, you will see the pressed in seat. Put some leak check on that and see if it's leaking. I picked up some leak check stuff at home depot that worked much better than starsan or soapy water.

Good luck!

It may just be as simple as replacing the washer. Don't trust those built-in black ones, they wear out quickly.. a simple teflon washer will work wonders for you.

Back