Regulator Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews and Blues

Reaction score
I need some help on my regulator set up. I took my CO2 tank for a refill. Came home to hook it back up and when I turn it on, air blows out seemingly from the regulator/tank connection or around there. I have a suspicion that I may have lost a washer or O-ring when i took it off, but since this is my first time changing it, I'm not entirely sure. Take a look at the pics i attached. Is there an additional washer/seal other than what's in the pics? I cannot figure out where this is leaking from and I don't want to lose my entire tank of CO2.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't look like there is a tank washer anywhere. Hard to tell though.

Do you have one of these?

I don't, but I don't think there ever was one of those... I would have noticed if that was gone.

Yeah, you could try one of those. Your tank might have a groove for a o-ring/washer without the screw in piece. I feel like I have one tank that doesn't need the screw-in piece and one that does. Can't remember. But it's good to have a few o-rings on hand either way.

I feel like those nylon washers (on your regulator) are supposed to be changed out frequently. What brand regulator is that? I'm guess not a tapright!?

Last edited:
Yeah, you could try one of those. Your tank might have a groove for a o-ring/washer without the screw in piece. I feel like I have one tank that doesn't need the screw-in piece and one that does. Can't remember. But it's good to have a few o-rings on hand either way.

I feel like those nylon washers (on your regulator) are supposed to be changed out frequently. What brand regulator is that? I'm guess not a tapright!?

Ok i will try that! My entire set up is Kegco. I've used it for quite some time now with no issues but this is the first time i have had to get a refill... i wonder if that washer is the issue

When you look at it closely, does the nylon washer mate with the tank nozzle? Or does the brass screw? In the latter case, brass to brass will never make a seal without an additional washer.

BTW, I've never seen a white nylon "washer" like that on a regulator, underneath the screw. Is that the way the regulator came?
It probably needs an additional washer, either nylon, fiber, or rubber.

When you look at it closely, does the nylon washer mate with the tank nozzle? Or does the brass screw? In the latter case, brass to brass will never make a seal without an additional washer.

BTW, I've never seen a white nylon "washer" like that on a regulator, underneath the screw. Is that the way the regulator came?
It probably needs an additional washer, either nylon, fiber, or rubber.

Yes that's how it came and i thought that is how it has been hooked up this entire time. But i have a feeling a washer fell off when i took the tank off and I didn't realize it. I tend to go a little to fast when doing projects

fwiw, my Taprite regulator has a rubber o-ring, and a sticker that says "use no tank washer", which indicates that (many?) other regulators need tank washers. Easily lost, like the smaller flare fitting washers.

The top photo you have a good shot of the "white" washer. This is like a neopream (sp) washer. I once experienced what you have described and the washer, as noted above, does sometimes compress. Unless you line up exactly yht same as when you unscrewed, which is impossible, you can lose pressure. I keep these washers on hand and change out every time I get my tank filled. In a pinch, you might try and turn the washer over and see if you can get a seal. The indent/compression on the washer doesn't look like much, but it doesn't take much.

I think that white washer that is captured under the brass retainer is all you are supposed to need, but it will still need to be replaced once in a while. The snip below is from a Komos kegerator owner manual - see the "NOTE". Most of the pictures I found of the Komos regulators showed a spare washer twist-tied to the CO2 inlet.

1633190486142.png

Back