regulator inside / CO2 outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisrush

Reaction score
Good Afternoon all,
I was wondering if anyone had the situation above in the title. I would like to have the CO2 tank outside and keep the regulator inside my kegerator.

If so, how did you accomplish this? Extra CO2 line?

Chris

The High Pressure lines (2000-3000 psi) that it takes to do what you want to do are very expensive.

What I would recommend is to have a CO2 tank with a Primary Regulator on the outside of the kegerator. Then run a low pressure line from the Primary into the kegerator and connect it to a Secondary Regulator/ or a Bank of Secondary Regulators.

I'm waiting on parts...but that's how mine is going to be rigged. I'll have the CO2 tank and primary outside. I'll set that regulator to 35 PSI. The output will go to a bulkhead fitting to run through the wall of the kegerator. On the inside...a short jumper hose will go to a pair of secondary regulators. The first one will have a single gas hose coming out the bottom...for carbonating/ or setting a higher or lower than normal pressure. Then second secondary will have a 3 port manifold coming out the bottom...These 3 outputs will be set for 12-14 psi for my normal beers...and a pass through port on the side of the second secondary will be at whatever pressure my PRIMARY regulator is set for. I'll connect this output to a keg for carbonated softdrinks.

That's what I'm doing... And there's a guy on eBay that was selling NEW Secondary Regulators for super cheap. I got two from him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260445934518&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks guys. I saw a similar item at keg connection but I was wondering if there was a cheaper way of doing it than spending $42 for a hose.

I would like to free up the space inside my kegerator as a 20# bottle is quite large. The idea of an inside/outside regulator makes sense, and I might do that if I can find a cheap primary regulator.

Chuggs, can you post an active ebay link?

I just checked that seller...and he doesn't have anymore listed at this time. You might use that link...and put him on your favorite sellers list...so that when he does list new items...it will notify you.

Here's a chart that will help explain the color codes on Cornelius Regulators...should you be searching on eBay. Chances are...the people selling them, alot of times, don't have any idea what the regulators specs are. But the colored label in the picture will help you see what it is they're selling

Primary Regulators (designed for MINIMUM inlet pressure of 500 psi)

0-30 psi purple
0-60 psi green
0-100 psi black
0-160 psi red

Secondary Regulators (Designed for MAXIMUM inlet pressure of 200 PSI)

0-30 psi orange
0-60 psi blue
0-100 psi gold
0-160 psi brown

Still unsure what to do about this. It would be nice to stick the tank outside and have my regulator inside, but I'm worried that the end that attaches to the regulator (from the linked pages) won't work. I guess I need to see if AHS has one in stock.

Why would it matter if the reg is inside or outside? My plan was eventually to drill ahole and run the low pressure into the side of the fridge and house the tank and reg outside, strapped to the side of the fridge to keep Thing 1 and Thing 2 (cats) from knocking it over.

I just put them both outside. This way I don't have to open the kegerator to adjust pressure. Blue is for pushing and Red is for Force Carbing.

CO2_Tank.jpg

That's pretty sharp. Do you split the line inside? What did you use as the bulkhead to seal the lines into the kegerator?

I just put them both outside. This way I don't have to open the kegerator to adjust pressure. Blue is for pushing and Red is for Force Carbing.

I used Pass Through Shanks through the side of the kegerator with a tailpiece and barb on each side. Then sealed the outside with DAP acrylic latex caulk plus silicone, followed by neoprene washers. The inside looks exactly like the outside. This pic will show you the rest. And yes the lines are split inside. I can push two while carbing two.

Kegerator CO2.jpg

Now that's more like what I've got. Home Depot parts... 3" nipple, couple of 90 ells, Pipe thread to flare adapter...hooked up to the gas with swivel nut barbs...

Kinda wish I'd used these... Look at part # 55399-3

Stainless_Steel_Parts

It would have been cheaper than buying all the little parts from Home Depot. And it's Stainless Steel to boot.

I used Pass Through Shanks through the side of the kegerator with a tailpiece and barb on each side. Then sealed the outside with DAP acrylic latex caulk plus silicone, followed by neoprene washers. The inside looks exactly like the outside. This pic will show you the rest. And yes the lines are split inside. I can push two while carbing two.

Thats fantastic.

Back