regulator help!??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
OK here is my dilemma. I set my regulator at 9 thru 10lbs. It holds there great a few days then bam it drops down to like 4lbs. This is with no adjustments it just drops. so i adjust it back up./ Later i will come back and pressure is up to 20lbs +. Every time i make an adjustment I watch it for a bit tap on regulator to see if it will move be fore I leave it. now the pressure going up I contribute to a sticking regulator but I dont get the pressure drop. I do not have my keezer built yet so co2 thank is in fridge with keg. I keep it around 40deg. Could this be my problem? Thanks so much for any insite. BSB

When you take a room temp co2 cylinder and put it in the freezer the bottle pressure will drop. I assume your the fluxuations you are seeing are with a stable cylinder temp? if yes, try a different regulator and see if the issue goes away. Was the regulator new or new to you?

It was new but not very high quality. Drop is happening different times even weeks after in fridge. My thought is cheap regulator but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something

I purchased a regulator set from the LHBS. It was a new taprite regulator set consisting of 2 regulators and a bottle gage. Has served me well so far. It lists at about $100 at my LHBS.

Sounds like a sticky needle valve in the regulator. Not much you can do about it, although it may loosen up over time with use. Disconnect all kegs, keep turning it up and down and in between pull the relief valve on the regulator.

If that doesn't help, return if recently purchased.

If it was used, the previous owner could have had liquid back up into the needle valve causing it to stick as well.
Possibly disassemble the regulator and give everything a good cleaning with hot water and soap, let it dry and reassemble.

Don't let any water get into the gauges.

Thanks for the help guys. Any recommendations on a quality 3 keg right? Just got 3 more kegs and gonna start from scratch and build a keezer

Back