Regulator for burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikn68

Reaction score
I am trying to find out if the regulator and hose for the burner I am planning on getting has enough power to boil my wort. I have a 15 gallon pot and boil close to 12 gallons pre-boil. I am getting a banjo bg14 that does to 200,000 btu's. The hose and regulator says 0-20 psi. Is this hose big enough to boil 12 gallons? I think it is but would like to know or if I need to upgrade the hose.

Thanks

Erik

A bg14 run on a 0-20 psi reg will be more than enough to handle 10 gallon batches. The supplied hose will be fine.
My typical pre-boil volume is 13.25 gallons using the same bg14 element on a 0-10 psi regulator for my boil kettle.
I use the same for my hlt burner to bring at least 12 gallons to a boil to de-aerate before cooling back down for sparging...

Cheers!

That particular (10") burner is designed for up to 30 PSI but you will never use all that capacity. FYI, it is not anywhere close to 200,000 BTU. 70,000 BTU is more realistic but it is more than sufficient for your application. Your biggest concern will likely be your valve and thermometer overheating. A 10" burner generates a LOT of heat that runs up the outside of your pot.

Back