Regulator bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wastegate

Reaction score
I bought this http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-governor-dual-gauge-co2-regulator.html

I'm carbing my first keg, I let the beer cool for a couple hours in fridge. Hook up the co2 and set it for 30 psi for 24 hours. I come back in 24 to set it at 20 for another 24 and gauges reading 50 psi. Bleed out and set for 10, and it's back up to 50?

What could this be besides the regulator?

The MB web page doesn't specify that the shut-off valve below the regulator body has an integrated check-valve (aka "backflow-preventer") so whatever you've pressurized the keg head space to will register all the way back to the low pressure gauge.

If you want to check the regulator, disconnect the keg first, close the shut-off valve, set your regulator pressure, "burp" the low-pressure side using the PRV, then check your gauge...

Cheers!

They usually do ;)

Just because it might be related: did you put your CO2 tank and regulator inside your fridge? I'm guessing "Yes".

What happened to start was you ended up with 50 pounds of pressure inside your keg - probably due to regulator creep from the temperature change - then tried to dial down your regulator to counter that pressure. But the low pressure gauge still "saw" the keg pressure and wouldn't go anywhere unless the system pressure was relieved.

When turning the regulator down you need to release system pressure to register the lower pressure on the gauge. I use the PRV on my regs for that - just a quick pop - and the low pressure gauge needle will settle on the lower pressure.

So I'd say burp the keg, set the regulator pressure, hook everything back up and stick it in the fridge, and keep an eye on things over the next couple of hours while everything settles in. You'll likely have to tweak the reg and burp the system pressure until it chills to fridge temp, but then it should stabilize...

Cheers!

I always burp the keg when changing pressures. The keg and co2 where in the fridge for more than 4 hours before setting the initial pressure to 30.
I've had it on 10 psi since last night and it seems to be holding steady now. Should I be concern about over-carbonation from that 50 psi?

I'll will try your method int he future, Thanks

I suppose that depends on how long the regulator had been sitting at that high pressure. About all you can do is give it a few days at the proper pressure then give it a try. If it's out of control you can deal with it then...

Cheers!

I had a similar problem. Just couldn't get things to balance out. After reading this thread I think it's been worked out.
I'm wondering though, how do you tell when the regulator is bad?

Back