Regulator acting wacky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have an issue that I'm hoping someone is familiar with.

I have a dual regulator setup that simply outputs to the typical picnic taps. It has been working fine for years.

All of a sudden, one regulator(the one closest to the tank), is always over pressure. So, if I back the adjustment as far as it goes and blow off any pressure remaining in the lines, it stays at zero.

However, if I crank it up just a tiny bit, it slowly over 5-10 minutes will build with pressure until it hits 60psi.

I've tried to level it off between 10-12psi, but then I open the fridge an hour lator and it is at 60psi.

I'm wondering if this is a typical failure that you have seen before and curious how you have fixed it. I've never take a regulator apart but I'm relatively good with my hands.

Sounds like a stuck valve stem. When it happened to me I googled my regulator and un-stick procedures were at the top of the results. If that isn't the case it could be a bad regulator diaphragm that you would have to disassemble the regulator to get at.

Maybe a little beer got in the regulator and is gumming up the diaphragm?
Although if you have check valves, I thought that would be more or less impossible?

The regulating element inside is bad and needs to be replaced. The element is a mini-popoff valve that is opened and closed by the diaphram. Assuming it's a name brand regulator you should be able to buy a rebuild kit. Forget about rebuilding the regulator if its a cheap Chinese unit.

Back