Regional Names of Malts (Malz) need assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers.

I'm living in Switzerland, just started brewing. I however have a preference to reading in English, so I search American bier forums for advice, and recipes. I found a porter recipe that looks easy enough.

Ingredients:
• 6 lbs. 2-row malt
• 0.25 lb. black malt
• 0.50 lb. roasted malt
• 10 oz. chocolate malt
• 0.75 lb. caramel malt, 40° Lovibond
• 0.75 lb. dextrin
• 2.1 oz. Northern Brewer hops
(8.5% alpha acid), 1.5 oz. for 60 min., 0.6 oz. at end of boil
• Fruity ale yeast (Wyeast 1098)

credit (http://byo.com/malt/item/514-create-your-own-great-porter)

My struggle is what a malt is called in the good ol' US of A, is not quite the same and the Swiss website I order from calls Malz. ;-)

Even searching for name conversions is not enough.
http://torontobrewing.ca/skin/frontend/default/torontobrewing/images/info-sheets/grain-subs.pdf

I want to know what the recipe means by just plain ol' (roasted malt),
even 2-row leaves an opening to choose between several types of 2-row. since it's a porter, I chose Maris Otter.
The Black Malt I chose Carafa Type III, the Chocolate the Carafa Type II, I could be wrong tho.
here is the website I found, here in Switzerland to be the best price and product availability. http://www.brauundrauchshop.ch/default.asp
It has a language selection tool at the top.
If any kind soul would like to give help to a budding brewer, I'd be happy to hear what you have to say.

Thanks in advance.

I suspect roasted "malt" may be a printing or editing error in the magazine. My guess is that it may have been intended to be roasted barley, a typical stout ingredient that also shows up in some porter recipes. If you cannot find it I'd just increase the other dark malts proportionally.

I suspect roasted "malt" may be a printing or editing error in the magazine. My guess is that it may have been intended to be roasted barley, a typical stout ingredient that also shows up in some porter recipes. If you cannot find it I'd just increase the other dark malts proportionally.

Thank you... so half a pound of roasted barley, approx 250g won't be too much for 19 liters?

I agree that it looks like an error in the original magazine article.
The Classic "London" porter recipe is
British 2 Row
Crystal 60L
Chocolate
Black Patent
Roasted Barley
The BYO recipe is a variation of the above. When I make English Beer Styles, I generally used English Malts or substitute American versions. I usually only use the Weyermann malts for German Beer styles. But I'd go ahead and make substitutions if you can get what you need. If you can't, pick a different recipe/style that more closely matches the ingredients you can get.

I agree that it looks like an error in the original magazine article.
The Classic "London" porter recipe is
British 2 Row
Crystal 60L
Chocolate
Black Patent
Roasted Barley
The BYO recipe is a variation of the above. When I make English Beer Styles, I generally used English Malts or substitute American versions. I usually only use the Weyermann malts for German Beer styles. But I'd go ahead and make substitutions if you can get what you need. If you can't, pick a different recipe/style that more closely matches the ingredients you can get.

Thanks, I'm pretty fortunate with the online shop I use. I have a lot to choose from, I bought a 2 row pale for my Boddingtons clone, in their description it said it was for English style biers...
While I don't know much, but from what I read from descriptions, I'm limited to clinging to a recipe so I attain a certain level of knowing what does what ;-). For now anyways.

I don't care for roasted barley in porters, my preference would be to use more chocolate malt instead. But 250g will give you ~5% of the grist which will not be overwhelming.

Thanks!
I don't know exactly if I don't like roasted barley yet... there are some porters that I didn't get along with, (not many) ;-) I don't like Black Butte Porter by Deschutes, anymore. It was my introduction to the Porter style when I first moved to Seattle. But now after having different ones from other breweries, I will pass on the Blackbutt LOL. Maybe it has roasted barley? I like Fullers London Porter, Founders Porter (chocolate) and I LOVE Pipeline Porter by Kona (which I haven't had for over 4 years) since moving to Switzerland.

I think I'll try the roasted barley, once, after all brewing one's own, is a big ol' chemistry experiment :) If it does not suit me, then never again.

Thanks!
I don't know exactly if I don't like roasted barley yet... there are some porters that I didn't get along with, (not many) ;-) I don't like Black Butte Porter by Deschutes, anymore. It was my introduction to the Porter style when I first moved to Seattle. But now after having different ones from other breweries, I will pass on the Blackbutt LOL. Maybe it has roasted barley? I like Fullers London Porter, Founders Porter (chocolate) and I LOVE Pipeline Porter by Kona (which I haven't had for over 4 years) since moving to Switzerland.

I think I'll try the roasted barley, once, after all brewing one's own, is a big ol' chemistry experiment :) If it does not suit me, then never again.

If you prefer Fullers London Porter over Black Butte, then definitely get rid of BOTH the black malt and roasted barley.

I would also add about 1-2lbs of Brown malt and mash fairly high (154 or so) on that recipe to get the thicker mouthfeel that Fuller's has.

Back