Refrigerator vs freezer for fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDBrew

Reaction score
I have seen several threads related to this question but none that directly answer it. Is there is a better choice, between a refrigerator or freezer, for use as a fermentation chamber? I would like to use it for cold crashing also. Will one be more efficient than the other, assuming both are controlled by a temperature controller (inkbird)? Also, I mostly do ales.

Freezers tend to be more insulated, which will naturally make them more efficient. But refrigerators work fine too. Maybe pick the one that fits your space best?

Answers in bold
I have seen several threads related to this question but none that directly answer it. Is there is a better choice, between a refrigerator or freezer, for use as a fermentation chamber? there is no one correct answer for every situation, what is your fermentation vessel, how much floor space do you have, if it is a fridge/freezer top bottom style will the freezer part be of use for something else? I would like to use it for cold crashing also. Will one be more efficient than the other, assuming both are controlled by a temperature controller (inkbird)? Also, I mostly do ales.One at a time or will you brew often enough that you will have 2 or more going at different stages? A mini fridge will be the smallest and you could have 4 of them if you want in a relatively small footprint. All different temps at different times and different uses.

Make the beer you like to drink in the way that works best in your brewery.

Good point about the better insulation, Brulosopher! I am also looking at a mini front opening freezer so I can take gravity readings without moving the fermentor as I have a SS Brewtech brew bucket with gravity tap at bottom.

Good point about the better insulation, Brulosopher! I am also looking at a mini front opening freezer so I can take gravity readings without moving the fermentor as I have a SS Brewtech brew bucket with gravity tap at bottom.

Sounds like that should work out good. Are you going to put it on a bench or table so you can gravity feed straight to bottling bucket or keg?

Freezers have no means to prevent condensation inside. A refrigerator will remain dry inside.

Depending on how humid the environment is, freezers run at fridge temps can get swampy and moldy inside while a fridge will be clean and dry...jme

This feature of a refrigerator is not free as it will likely use more power than a freezer.

Do you have any problems with your back? You will be bending over with the weight of your fermentors to load and unload a freezer. Installing a hoist over the freezer would eliminate the heavy work.

I do not like using either freezers and refrigerators. The problem with chest freezers is hosting 6 gallons of beer in and out of in a glass carboys is dangerous to say the leasts. Now if you use plastic your Ok but your back will hate you. My issue with refrigerators is that they are limited is size. I brew 10 to 15 gallon batches and could figure out a way to get two or three carboys into a refrigerator. If you have a conical they may work for you but to me is looks like a PITA loading one in and out.

I built a chamber using closed cell foam and wood. I started off using ice blocks to cool it, but quickly tired of changing out ice. I found a 5000 btu window air conditioner for 25 bucks. Rebuilt my chamber to hold 4 or 5 carboys that can be easily moved in and out. I made some foam partitions so I can ferment at different temperatures.

Freezers have no means to prevent condensation inside. A refrigerator will remain dry inside.

Depending on how humid the environment is, freezers run at fridge temps can get swampy and moldy inside while a fridge will be clean and dry...jme

This feature of a refrigerator is not free as it will likely use more power than a freezer.

This. I have had both and much prefer the refrigerator. I have a side by side I got cheap and store extra co2 on the freezer side.

I use a refrigerator but like the idea of a stand up freezer. Chest freezer no way as I do 10 gallon batches and not hoisting them up and in just no way.

My gripe about the refrigerator is I'd like to try cold crashing at 31F as advocated by Charlie Bamforth. Listened to him on podcasts and sounds like there may be big difference between the 38-39 I can reach in my old refrigerator and what I could do in a freezer. Agree on freezers getting kinda nasty if you don't manage the moisture though.

I have used both. The refrigerator, while easier on my back as far as moving buckets in and out, would sometimes refuse to listen to the temperature controller. I never figured out why, but it would just not kick on when it was supposed to. Not all the time, but sometimes. I ended up donating the refrigerator because I was frustrated with big swings in fermentation temperature.

I have a couple of the black Kenmore 8.8 freezers, one for a fermentation chamber and one for a keezer. I have 8" collars on both and have them well sealed with fans circulating air inside and a Eva-Dry in each. I live in Austin, TX and the humidity isn't too bad and have never had moisture issues with either. I have both on dollies also, and routinely lift fermentors and kegs up and over but it's not for the weak of back.

Latest posts

Back