Refractometer repeatability/accuracy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I took several measurements pre-boil and postboil with my new refractometer and the results varied wildly.

Preboil I measured 15.2, 14.8 and 14.3. All of these measurements allowed ~5 minutes for the sample on refractometer to drop to near room temp.
Post boil I measured 18 and 17.2 with ~10 minutes each time for temp to drop.

The last measurement I did Post and preboil ended up being very close to my hydrometer.

Is there some technique that I could be messing up?

I did a little test with grapefruit juice heated/cooled in a shot glass with different temps measured 3 times each:

45 degrees

100 degrees

185 degrees (simulate a preboil sample)

~75 degrees (allowed to cool from 185 in pipette)

The part that confuses me is that I let the 45 and 185 degree tests stabilize for a few minutes each in the refractometer and the values did not change. The 185 degree read very high right when I put the drops on and did not change as the sample sat in the refractometer for several minutes. I would've expected all the tests to converge to a common reading as they sat and stabilized.

I have never taken a measurement over mash-out temp (168) but my measurements up to that temperature have been within a few points. Which, for me is accurate enough.

Why do you need measurements at 185?

As far as the variability for your pre-boil, I think similarly to others. That it is likely from draff, solids or from other causes of inhomogeneity of your samples.

Back