Refractometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
OK just got a refractometer in the mail, ran to the store and got the water and set it to null. So as luck would have it, I have an APA that has been setting for sixteen days and want to check everything out. Took hydro reading of .010 from OG of .056, then added acouple drops into the refractometer to test it and it comes back 8 Brix (.032). And I have gone back and forworth with the water and the APA. It always come back the same, what gives?

thanks

Then when I put the OG and 8 Brix into Morebeer it comes back at 1.018?

confused

did you let the beer sit in the refractometer for a few seconds? I've had mine change 1% brix in a matter of seconds (though typically when its extremely warm, not room temp)

Did you verify that your hydrometer reads 1.000 when in distilled water?

I have everything setting at a 70deg room temp, just checked both again.

Water 0.00
APA 8 brix
hydro 1.01

With distilled water?

ok with the water the hydro reads 1.004. WTF

That will do it...and that would push you up closer to what your refractometer is reading. If that is the case - your OG was actually ~1.060 not 1.056. Doing that, your Refractometer adjusted for alcohol with a brix of 8%, gives you ~1.015, reading 1.010 on your hydrometer...add 0.004 you're at 1.014, which is pretty much the same reading.

Does your refractometer have automatic temperature correction (ATC)?

I've yet to trust a refractometer on fermented wort. I checked my hdyrometer with distilled water 1.000, calibrated the refractometer with the same water 1.000.

Yesterday I took ATC refractometer and hydrometer (adjusted for temp) readings on fermented wort and used the refractometer calculator on BeerSmith, MoreBeer, and another I found via a link on HBT. All differed, the lowest was 1.002 and highest 1.008. The hydrometer reading was 1.014 which was the predicted FG.

That will do it...and that would push you up closer to what your refractometer is reading. If that is the case - your OG was actually ~1.060 not 1.056. Doing that, your Refractometer adjusted for alcohol with a brix of 8%, gives you ~1.015, reading 1.010 on your hydrometer...add 0.004 you're at 1.014, which is pretty much the same reading.

plus one. thanks

worst part of this story is that I have been using that hydro for the last two years. WOW that now makes sence why I have had a hard time hitting my OG

plus one. thanks

worst part of this story is that I have been using that hydro for the last two years. WOW that now makes sence why I have had a hard time hitting my OG

I checked my Hydro via distilled water when I first got it. It was off so I used a small piece of blue tape at the very top to bring it to zero in the distilled water. Been using it like that ever since.

Well today it is just under 7 brix so using morebeer excel and rooftops ABV, this is what it comes back at.

Original:
Specific Gravity
Final:
Specific Gravity
Alcohol By Weight:
5.4 %
Alcohol By Volume:
6.7 %

Which is about 1.5% higher than I was shotting for, not really in the Citra APA that i was going to make.

Latest posts

Back