Refractometer Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenabney

Reaction score
I have a new refractometer. With tap water, I calibrated it to 1.000, and confirmed results with hydrometer. Then I measured some beer before bottling at 1.030, and found the hydrometer to read 1.012. 12 is most likely correct, as that is what I was expecting it to be.

Is there something I could be doing wrong with reading the refractometer that would make it be off by that much? I just put three drops on the glass, close the glass top, and read the results. Seems fail proof, so maybe I have a bad refractometer?

Thanks!

I have a new refractometer. With tap water, I calibrated it to 1.000, and confirmed results with hydrometer. Then I measured some beer before bottling at 1.030, and found the hydrometer to read 1.012. 12 is most likely correct, as that is what I was expecting it to be.

Is there something I could be doing wrong with reading the refractometer that would make it be off by that much? I just put three drops on the glass, close the glass top, and read the results. Seems fail proof, so maybe I have a bad refractometer?

Thanks!

You'll need to make adjustments to the refractometer reading during and after fermentation. Alcohol throws it off. Try googling "refractometer adjustment" and yoyu
ll find several online calcs. You'll need to know the OG.

The refractometer won't be accurate once there is alcohol present, but there's numerous calculators available to help you convert your reading.

Also, the best way to calibrate your hydrometer and your refractometer is to use distilled water, rather than tap water. As stated before, once there is alcohol present, you will need to use a calculator for an accurate refractometer reading.

Back