refractometer/hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springinloose1

Reaction score
I understand you can't really use a refractometer once yeast is added without proper calibrations or a calculator since alcohol will skew the readings, however, instead of taking samples with a hydrometer every time to determine when FG is reached, does anyone see an issue using a refractometer for this purpose? Since I'm only interested in gravity movement, or the lack thereof, and not an actual gravity reading, that this should work. Once I see fermentation has stopped, then grab the hydrometer FG reading.

Thanks!

I use my cheap amazon refractometer at all stages; before fermentation, during, and after. My hydrometer is collecting dust. Just make sure to get a temperature compensating unit without a specific gravity scale. Get one with just a Brix scale then convert to Gs. To use it during and after fermentation, use an online refractometer calculator. It's super simple and much easier than a hydrometer; plus, you waste less sample (drops vs cups) and don't have to pour excess hydrometer sample back into the carboy if you don't want waste.

You'll need to periodically calibrate it, but most refractometers come with a little screwdriver for that purpose. You just need distilled water, something you should already have handy as a brewer.

I understand you can't really use a refractometer once yeast is added without proper calibrations or a calculator since alcohol will skew the readings, however, instead of taking samples with a hydrometer every time to determine when FG is reached, does anyone see an issue using a refractometer for this purpose? Since I'm only interested in gravity movement, or the lack thereof, and not an actual gravity reading, that this should work. Once I see fermentation has stopped, then grab the hydrometer FG reading.

Thanks!

No problem at all. That's a great use of the refractometer. Like you said, you just need stable readings, not exact values. Once you keg/bottle, you can get a hydrometer reading. I would recommend using an online calculator to at least get an estimate of what your refractometer reading means before bottling though.

I've also been doing this. I make a number of batches that are sub-3G, so the minimized sample size is a good return on my just having to plug some numbers into a calculator.

I too use it throughout, and run the values through a calculator to get ABV. It's close enough for homebrew.
Hi. I'm going to get a refractometer to measure gravity throughout the process. What do you recommend? I've read here to avoid the ones with a Brix scale (without Specific Gravity scale), and to use a calculator to convert Brix to SG. Why do you say it is "Close Enough"? Thanks I could use a little advice. Is a cheap one OK, and what exactly is "Cheap"? $30?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AOCKWMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$23. Calibrate with clean water. Preferably distilled water but my tap water is near RO so I just do that. Check OG against known hydrometer which itself is calibration checked periodically. FG formulas for refractometer readings in presence of alcohol will be ... well, they may be a jaunt down a rabbit hole, but the most important thing if using refractometer to see if fermentation is complete is that the readings will stabilize and stop dropping.

Read the sticky in the science forum. AJDelange talks about recommendations there. I cheaped out and got this one. I am not convinced yet of it, my use of it, the need for it, it's just what one random guy on the internet with a Pearl Before Swine avatar uses. Do please take that with a grain of salt, be it CaCl, NaCl, or whatever.

Hi. I'm going to get a refractometer to measure gravity throughout the process. What do you recommend? I've read here to avoid the ones with a Brix scale (without Specific Gravity scale), and to use a calculator to convert Brix to SG. Why do you say it is "Close Enough"? Thanks I could use a little advice. Is a cheap one OK, and what exactly is "Cheap"? $30?
I assure you the one I bought is one of the inexpensive ones, with Brix and SG scales. I calibrated it with distilled water per the instructions and compared it with my hydrometer, to find the instrument being spot on. The good enough/close enough is in regard to the calculators and getting the ABV. That is the only minor disadvantage. It’s fine for getting the OG and checking SG all along the way. It reads higher than the actual SG, but you can still see that it is getting lower or maintaining when you are check to see if fermentation is done and you are ready for packaging.

Back