• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Massachusetts Refractometer Good Deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cujocon

Reaction score
I just responded to a Craigslist ad with
"Refractometer - New in Box" for $22.

Is that enough info to know if it is a good deal?
Are there bad refractometers to avoid?
Is there any additional equipment that I might need?

I've only ever used hydrometers and want to up my game.

Thanks.

I forget where I bought mine from but it was under $40 new. And after one year it is so far off that it can no longer be calibrated right. The adjustent screw cant turn enough to be back at 0. There is no manufacturer listed anywhere on it, but it does have a brix and SG scale. I have heard people say that the ones with SG are not as reliable as the more expensive ones. So I would be weary of the cheaper refractometers

I have also heard a lot of horror stories on the ones with both SG and Brix. The one I have is Brix only and seems to work great. Every 3 or 4 brews I test it against my refractometer, just to make sure they are still in the same ballpark. it's still spot on.

There are online calculators for converting Brix to SG, I just have a link to one on my phone and it's easy as can be. I've never looked at a refractometer with SG scale on it, but I can't imagine it would be easy to read in the first place.

I'll have to look when I get home to see what the manufacturer of mine was. I received it as a gift from the in-laws, so never really bothered to look at it that closely.

Also, I know it has Auto Temp Control, but even so, I always leave it inside my house somewhere near where I'm brewing, usually the kitchen. For one, it prevents me from knocking it off the table when I'm reaching for a spoon or my mash paddle. Two: I always just put a little wort in a plastic cup and set it aside to cool to test anyways. And Three: That way I always know it's sitting at around 70 degrees. Even with ATC and calibrating, I don't feel comfortable testing wort at say 38 degrees one time and then at 85 degrees another and expecting to get consistent results. This way I know I have it calibrated at 70 degrees and hopefully that should give me consistent readings.

Test it before you buy it. Bring some distilled water and see if it is 0%b. Also, look for a pipette, tiny screwdriver and any protective case or sock. You'll want those things eventually. If he doesn't have them then go online and spend the same amount for one that has those things.

He has a description of 0-32B ATC, Looks like a good one to me. metal and rubber construction. I'd check it out ASAP

My wife got me mine for a present about 7 years ago - one of the $60 units that were sold at the time at one of the online brewing retailers - only reads in Brix. Reads accurately to this day and has never needed adjustment. Not sure who the manufacturer of it is but I believe it was made in France (comes in a foam padded case)

Every time I read people think refractometer's don't work or get frustrated with them I later read that it's because they bought the $25 unit.

I have also heard a lot of horror stories on the ones with both SG and Brix. The one I have is Brix only and seems to work great. Every 3 or 4 brews I test it against my refractometer, just to make sure they are still in the same ballpark. it's still spot on.

There are online calculators for converting Brix to SG, I just have a link to one on my phone and it's easy as can be. I've never looked at a refractometer with SG scale on it, but I can't imagine it would be easy to read in the first place.

I'll have to look when I get home to see what the manufacturer of mine was. I received it as a gift from the in-laws, so never really bothered to look at it that closely.

Also, I know it has Auto Temp Control, but even so, I always leave it inside my house somewhere near where I'm brewing, usually the kitchen. For one, it prevents me from knocking it off the table when I'm reaching for a spoon or my mash paddle. Two: I always just put a little wort in a plastic cup and set it aside to cool to test anyways. And Three: That way I always know it's sitting at around 70 degrees. Even with ATC and calibrating, I don't feel comfortable testing wort at say 38 degrees one time and then at 85 degrees another and expecting to get consistent results. This way I know I have it calibrated at 70 degrees and hopefully that should give me consistent readings.

It's not hard to read at all. Same deal as with a Brix. Mine is only SG, and I got a dirt cheap one that's worked fantastically for 50+ brews. I only use it pre fermentation though. I've used the calculators for final gravity adjustments/abv calculations and it's ballpark, but I prefer a good ol' fashioned hydrometer for FG measurments.

My wife bought me a brix/SG with ATC a few years ago for Christmas from Northern Brewer. At first I was jazzed, she loves that she got me something that got 2 thumbs up. Anymore I am beginning to doubt it's accuracy. I leave it in the house (when it's really cold in the garage) in between readings and they seem to vary a lot. I clean it each use with my starsan spray bottle and three readings in a row it can be 1.055, 1.045, 1.052. I have tried calibrating it with distilled water also.

I don't have the heart to tell her it may not be that awesome. What to do? "Accidentally" drop it one brew day and buy a brix only unit? :mad:

It's a great tool, maybe it's just user error :drunk:

It's not hard to read at all. Same deal as with a Brix. Mine is only SG, and I got a dirt cheap one that's worked fantastically for 50+ brews. I only use it pre fermentation though. I've used the calculators for final gravity adjustments/abv calculations and it's ballpark, but I prefer a good ol' fashioned hydrometer for FG measurments.

My eyes aren't the best anymore. But yeah, I use hydrometer for FG reading as well. I always like a tasting sample anyways, so it's a perfect fit.

I picked this item up and it was brand new in box.
I sampled with water and it read 0 Brix so I figure it's good...

One problem -
I had a final product that I tested with the hydrometer and it read 1.002
I tested same with Refractometer and it read 7 brix...or 1.02
That's a really big difference.

Am I reading one or the other incorrectly? I think I know how to read both...but I am kind of new.

Many go for about $20-30 new on eBay and Amazon, including shipping.

From what I read, some are really light weight and flimsy others a bit more substantial. There seem to be many varieties out there, all looking pretty much the same on the outside. Hard to tell which are better.

My opinion:
I think they are all $2-3 units, cost, from China, regardless what you pay. It's all markup.

Last year I bought one for around $25 on eBay marked as the "heavy duty version." It is relatively heavy, which is nice, but the SG scale is NOT corrected regardless of the claims they made in the description.

Is a refractometer only good for measuring relative change?
Does it ever give an accurate reading?

Why would it be "correct" for a starting Brix, but incorrect for a finished Brix?

I searched elsewhere in the forums and got this answer:
If you are reading the FG as 1.032 directly from the refractometer scale, then the true FG will be approximately 1.017 (give or take a few points). This is because a refractometer reads the refractive index of a solution, and the refractive index of ethanol is higher than that of water, while the specific gravity of ethanol is lower than that of water.

Does that sound right?

You need to know what the original gravity reading was. Did you take a hydrometer reading before the start of fermentation? I plugged in a 7B with 1.002 finish from your hydrometer and got 1.070 starting gravity. Is that close?

1) You have to use a calculator for any refractometer reading after fermentation begins. Using the calc I come within .001 of my hydrometer so I don't use that anymore.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/refractometer-calculator/

2) For a refractometer, ATC refers to the refractometer (room) temperature, not wort temp. Bring your sample indoors to where the refractometer is.

Back