Refilling/exchanging CO2 tank in San Francisco?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
Can anyone share where to take my CO2 tank to be refilled or exchanged? I called Airgas, but they want $22 for my 5lb tank, so I'm wondering if there is welding supply shop or something like that..

Airgas in Augusta, GA wanted $15. Might just be cost of living differences.

I'd try calling fire extinguisher service places, that's where I got mine filled for $18.

For comparison purposes just exchanged tanks in Portland last week, $10.50 for 5lb. And now notice that my LHBS (brewbrothers.biz) is doing them for $10.

If sf brewcraft is doing them for $20, they are probably getting it done for $10 somewhere.

Jeez yeah, I've been convinced that their prices are a bit steep, but they have a great selection of grains. Andreiz, do you use Brewcraft as well?

I have two small tanks and I exchange them at a welder gas supply house when they are exhausted.

There is a big profit margin on all gas types. For example, natural gas has declined in value drastically but my grill tanks still cost $18 to fill.

So far Brewcraft seems to be the cheapest (and they fill your tank, instead of exchanging it). Airgas will exchange your tank for $22, and Praxis –*for $23. I might look into the fire extinguisher places next, but for now I just had Brewcraft do it. Should last at least 10 kegs, I hope (after reading some threads that calculated it out).

JNish, I do use Brewcraft for almost all my grains. Too bad there is only one shop in SF.

if you are in the south bay, Carbonic Service will fill tanks, and is really homebrewer friendly. I don't remember what they charge to refill a 5lb tank but it was pretty reasonable (less than $20).

SF Brewcraft winds up being the cheapest. Imagine how much time and energy you'd spend going all the way down to San Jose or to Hayward or somewhere, the cost of gas and bridge toll. It totally makes sense. Plus you can't compare prices from other states. Everything in California is more expensive. We probably have a bunch of hazardous materials charges and taxes that they don't have in Oregon or Georgia

Actually, they charged me $20 for 5lb and I had to wait 3-4 days. Praxis in Bayview exchanged my cylinder for a full new cylinder for $22, no wait.

if you are in the south bay, Carbonic Service will fill tanks, and is really homebrewer friendly. I don't remember what they charge to refill a 5lb tank but it was pretty reasonable (less than $20).

x2 on Carbonic Service -- I have a 10lb. CO2 tank that I use for my Jeep and another one for the beer and I want to say it's between $15-20 for 10lbs., and I think around $10 for 5. I also own the tank (not cylinder exchange) and they fill it while I wait in about 5 minutes.

Of course you'll easily burn the difference in gas coming from SF if you weren't in the neighborhood anyway...

Update for those interested, having just made some calls. Brewcraft: $25, Airgas: $32, Mikes Liquors: $40

Higher than I'd hoped on all counts, but it looks like the LHBS still wins!

Just called SF Brewcraft. They get CO2 from an industrial supplier and don't distinguish different grades (food vs welding). "You can read what you qant, they're all 99%" he said. Guess he didn't know that grossly polluted air is also only 1% pollution. It's what's in that 1% that matters.

You also save on tank size. Last time I swapped at Alliance gas (San Carlos but I think they are also in Berkeley and Oakland) it was like 17$ for a 5 lb tank but only 20$ for a 20lb tank.

edit: just realized this thread was resurrected like 3 times. So my prices seem pretty good.

One of my first times actually writing on here hahaha

I know BrewCraft is not the cheapest of places, actually, it's one of the most expensive places I've shopped for HomeBrew supplies, but alas, we live in SF and this is about the norm. Anyways, I just was at BrewCraft in SF yesterday. They exchanged my CO2 tank for $35...I was not really happy about it, but I was buying parts to put together my first kegerator, and even though I knew the price was high, or the guy was ripping me off, I just wanted to get my stuff home and get it hooked up to see where all my money has been going. But if anyone else has any other ideas or suggestions, please let me know! $35 is freaking ridiculous for 5 lb CO2. If that's the case, I'll buy a 20 lb tank and commute to fill it up. Thanks gang!

One of my first times actually writing on here hahaha

I know BrewCraft is not the cheapest of places, actually, it's one of the most expensive places I've shopped for HomeBrew supplies, but alas, we live in SF and this is about the norm. Anyways, I just was at BrewCraft in SF yesterday. They exchanged my CO2 tank for $35...I was not really happy about it, but I was buying parts to put together my first kegerator, and even though I knew the price was high, or the guy was ripping me off, I just wanted to get my stuff home and get it hooked up to see where all my money has been going. But if anyone else has any other ideas or suggestions, please let me know! $35 is freaking ridiculous for 5 lb CO2. If that's the case, I'll buy a 20 lb tank and commute to fill it up. Thanks gang!

Alliance Gas has multiple locations - problem is they just don't have one in SF. Here is their location website: http://www.alliancegas.com/index_files/locations.htm

Airgas is another - but I have never used them and I am not sure if you have to sign up to use them or not. Their locations in SF are here:

West Division - NCN Region 2.3 Miles
1495 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
(415) 648-9353 | Driving Directions

West Division - NCN Region 9.2 Miles
220 South Linden Avenue
Suite A
South San Francisco, CA 94080
(650) 873-9120 | Driving Directions

EDIT: If you want to buy a tank just realize that all these places are exchange - so it doesn't matter if it is a nice tank or not. Just sit on Craigslist and see if one comes up - it should be much cheaper than going to buy one. If they don't you can always contact this guy: [email protected] which is who has sold to many of us up here on HBT for years. The only problem is that you are going to have to ship it from the other side of the US which is going to be more money - either way - it will still save you $$$.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Alliance Gas has multiple locations - problem is they just don't have one in SF. Here is their location website: http://www.alliancegas.com/index_files/locations.htm

Airgas is another - but I have never used them and I am not sure if you have to sign up to use them or not. Their locations in SF are here:

West Division - NCN Region 2.3 Miles
1495 Illinois Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
(415) 648-9353 | Driving Directions

West Division - NCN Region 9.2 Miles
220 South Linden Avenue
Suite A
South San Francisco, CA 94080
(650) 873-9120 | Driving Directions

EDIT: If you want to buy a tank just realize that all these places are exchange - so it doesn't matter if it is a nice tank or not. Just sit on Craigslist and see if one comes up - it should be much cheaper than going to buy one. If they don't you can always contact this guy: [email protected] which is who has sold to many of us up here on HBT for years. The only problem is that you are going to have to ship it from the other side of the US which is going to be more money - either way - it will still save you $$$.

Best of luck!
Thanks a lot for the speedy response! I appreciate it! I'll check out both places and give an update on their prices. Thanks guys!

Thanks a lot for the speedy response! I appreciate it! I'll check out both places and give an update on their prices. Thanks guys!

Keep in mind that many of the Airgas shops won't sell you a tank if you show up in a car and/or SUV. The tanks have to technically be transported in an open truck bed, standing in the upright position. Or that's what they told me. I now park around the corner and tell them that my truck is parked down the street :rockin:

Need to refill 2 5 lbers. Gonna head out there tomorrow and see what I can get.

I just got a 5 pound tanks exchanged at Airgas: $35
A 20 pound exchange was $57

Exchange!?
Dude you need to shop somewhere else. Last month at Alliance we got a 20 lb CO2 exchange for $17 plus a small beergas tank exchange for $14. The nominal fees -$1 "Exchange maintenance" and $5 "Hazmat fee" - covered both tanks. I think they were both out of date, the CO2 was for sure.

That's great! If there was an alliance anyplace in Marin or SF, I'd be there - I don't get to the east bay but once every couple months. Sucks I know, but if I made the trip across the bridge, it's an extra hour+ of time, $10 in gas, and $5 for a bridge toll. But time is the major factor.

I also checked with SF Brewcraft - $35 for a 5 pound tank exchange.

Know of any other place in SF or Marin?

Sorry no, I go to the one in san carlos. No bridge toll at least for you to get down here :)
You might look into a bigger tank, that 20 lber tends to last me about a year and half, would be worth a trip up/down the peninsula for that I reckon.

did you check with the guys at black sands? new place with a home brew shop tucked in the back of a little nano-brewery on haight st.

been there a few times, dont recall if they do gas or not. might be worth calling and finding out. the shop is open on weekends.

Just got my 5 lb tank exchanged today at Alliance Gas in San Carlos. $25 total.

I love that this thread has been resurrected for 7 years, and now I'll make it 9!

After much searching, I always go to Global Garden Supply in Burlingame. They exchange 20lb or 10lb tanks for $15! They don't do anything smaller than that, but a bigger tank is better anyway, right? They exchanged a 5lb tank for 10lb filled tank for me for $50, and said they would do a 5lb/10lb --> 20lb for $75, or a 2.5lb --> 20lb for $100.

Alliance (Berkeley, Oakland, Livermore) will refill or swap a 20# for $33 + tax... about $35 was my quote. One good thing with them is if your sticker on your tank shows you got the tank from them, they will exchange your tank for no charge even if it needs hydrotesting. I have an old steel tank someone gave me that expired in 2011, but it has their sticker on it, and the guy said to just bring it in and they'll do a tank swap no charge (for the hydrotest... still gotta pay for the CO2). A normal hydrotest is about $15 (so he says).

On the other hand, here in Kalifornia, I've found that most hydroponics shops (and they're all over in the SF region), will do a swap (aluminum or steel) for anywhere from $17.99 to $22 for a 20#. Just did one the other day from a shop in Dublin, CA (The Lucky Garden) for $20.

I love that this thread has been resurrected for 7 years, and now I'll make it 9!

After much searching, I always go to Global Garden Supply in Burlingame. They exchange 20lb or 10lb tanks for $15! They don't do anything smaller than that, but a bigger tank is better anyway, right? They exchanged a 5lb tank for 10lb filled tank for me for $50, and said they would do a 5lb/10lb --> 20lb for $75, or a 2.5lb --> 20lb for $100.
these guys still doing swaps? i got a 10# tank that i can never seem to get swapped at brew shops... only 5s and 20s.

so i called global garden supply in burlingame, and they will do an actual refill on your tank. was quoted $15 for a 10#tank. didnt ask about bigger or smaller sizes. limited hours currently, noon to 5 midweek and noon to 3 weekends.

i'll be there for sure.

Back