Reducing Pith and harshness NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
So the last 2 NEIPAs i've done, i'm noticing a good amount of bitter harsh'ness (referred to as Pith?) from my Single dryhopped versions. I never really noticed it when I made them double dry hopped, as i would spread the dry hop amounts over 2 additions, instead of just one large one on day 2 of fermentation. Is it as simple as too much hops at once, for too long? I brew in brewbuckets, so i usually leave the hops in there, and its out of the fermenter by day 7.

For instance i recently did an all Sabro hop NEIPA, which has great aroma, and you can tell the flavor is there, its just masked by the harsh'ness. 5 gallon batch, I used about 4.5oz during the single dryhop, where as i would normally do 2-3oz during day 2, and then another 2-3oz during day 5, around 2-3 days before i keg. No bittering hops, and whirlpool'ed about 3oz at 175, as is my usual method for all my NEIPAs.

I've read of people using dryhop amounts larger than mine, for longer contact periods, without issue, so it just leaves me a little stumped. Should i just try bagging my first round of dryhops and remove them after 48hours to see?

Back