Reducing Chugger Pump Noise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedBrews

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

I just switched my kettle over to electric, and I am quickly coming to realize the joys of quiet brewing mornings.

When the kettle was sitting on top of a jet engine (propane burner) the pump was barely noticeable, but now that the garage is basically silent I am wishing I could cut down on the pump noise.

Have you guys done anything to dampen or isolate your pumps to cut down on the WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR?

Thanks,

-B

A lot of what you're hearing is the fan, but some is vibration. Mounting it on rubber isolation blocks may help. How are your pumps mounted now?

If the impeller is not perfectly centered in the pump I think it will cause extra vibration and noise. When I first got mine it was a nice low hum. after taking it apart to mount in a box with the pump on the outside it was not as quiet; even after removing it from the box. Next time I take it apart for inspection and/or cleaning I'm going to try and get it more centered.

I put a towerl under my pump and it reduces a lot of the noise. About 50% of the noise is just from vibrations IME

The pump is currently mounted directly to a board to keep the thing sitting flat. I think the rubber feet would help some, I can give that a try this afternoon.

I hadn't considered impeller alignment but that seems like a good candidate. The noise certainly changes depending on the pump flow rate which would suggest something in the impeller more than the constant speed motor.

I would describe the noise volume and tone as very similar to an automatic ice cream maker, with possibly somewhat lower high-pitch character.

I think the tone is very similar to this guy's demo:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzjpg6WUMqA[/ame]

But I feel like I am noticeably louder than this guy (not counting his rattling noise):
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=calFYOn5O8c[/ame]

It's probably just me being nit-picky :)

I hadn't considered impeller alignment but that seems like a good candidate. The noise certainly changes depending on the pump flow rate which would suggest something in the impeller more than the constant speed motor.

)

Increased noise and vibration at lower or higher flows is just a part of centrifugal pumps. There are optimal design points (BEP) and when you get away from that you lose efficiency and also will introduce a certain amount of recirculation etc.

Back