Red Wheat vs. "normal" Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I see some recipes for a Hefe uses Red Wheat. What would be the difference between Red and normal wheat. What does Red Wheat give you that is different - is it only color?

Perhaps the bakers around here will chime in with more specific information, but I believe that the difference between red and white wheat has to do with protein content, not actually color contribution to the finished beer. Red wheat is higher in gluten and tends to get used more for bread, whereas white wheat is lower in gluten proteins and tends to get used more for pastries.

I believe most brewers use white wheat most of the time, but I've heard of pro-brewers switching between the two in a pinch without much noticeable difference. If I were to speculate, I'd think that a bit more protein would give a hefe a style-appropriate head-stiffness, so perhaps that is the reasoning.

It's a big ingredient in AHB's Hefe Recipe! Just wondering as Red Wheat is hard to find in these here parts!

Back