red stripe bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
anyone bottle with these before? i like the shape and bought a 12 pack in my pursuit of odd and elegant bottles. the 22 oz guiness bottles are my fav, but these little 'hand gernades' look cool, i just hope they don't actually blow up cause there is really no neck on the bottle :)

haven't drunk redstripe since my college days ten years or so ago, god the memories that different beers can trigger! w00t!
;)

Careful about the lack of neck. Depending on the capper you use, you may have a serious problem.

I had a dozen Amstel Light bottles in the mix, got em full of beer, and almost had a heart attack when my capper (the red double-handled one) failed to cap the first one.

I was able (very carefully) to cap the bottles to avoid the hassle of pouring beer back into the bottling bucket. It was an huge pain in the azz.

Red Stripe bottles are charming, but try your capper on one BEFORE you have a dozen or so uncappable bottles on the table full of your beer.

i'd simply have to drink them if the caps didn't fit :)

i had some trouble in the past with european imported bottles, bass, pilsner urquell. it had a smaller base where the capper would bite to cinch the caps. i bought a different bottle cap and they worked much better than the cheapo 'hooch' black bottle caps.

let me know if this works... I was going to bottle in the red stripe bottles.. glad you peeps warned me, now I will test my capper first.

i found when capping our first batch that St pauly girl bottles seemed to give a little difficulty. not sure if i had just had too many guinesses (need more bottles) or if theres something different about em.

I had some Red Stripe bottles I planned on using, but I ended up pitching them for two reasons.

1) The label was painted on, I couldn't figure out how to get that off. I think Corona and Rolling Rock bottles are the same way. i don't want someone elses name on my beer...

2) The bottles don't play well with other more conventional ones. You can't use a normal 6 pack carton to transport them.

I think the bottles are a cool shape though.

Good luck.

they work great though! no probs with the capper.

i bottled twelve of them, no problems except i used too much biscut malt in the recipe... it's a little dry dry dry, but the carbonation is excellent.

Back