Red Mould in fermenter. What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk01

Reaction score
I have been brewing and bottling my first 7 batches Cooper Pale Ale and all were quite nice to drink. I usually clean fermenter after bottling but just with water until I want to brew next batch. I always left lid open and never had any problems. Last time I closed the lid and had some water in it as well and when I opened fermenter yesterday (that's three weeks later) I find some kind of red mould (i suspect it's mould) on plastic fermenter walls. Tried to clean with brush and everything but no luck. smell is fine but stain still there. What should I do? Can I sanitise as usual and start brewing again???? Any help would be much appreciated!

umm, its a bucket right? 3 bucks to replace it? I wouldn't hesitate for one second to toss it and replace it. I just isn't worth the risk of ruining a batch.

If the bucket is just stained, scrubbing with some bleach solution will remove the colour. Just remember to rinse well afterwards and air dry for a few days before filling with any wort.

I would not be concerned with any mold that is growing on an empty bucket. Since the mold is growing on an empty bucket is aerobic (needs air to grow), and will not do anything in your beer. Just clean well to remove all of the mold particles (they probably taste terrible) and don't worry too much about it.

umm, its a bucket right? 3 bucks to replace it? I wouldn't hesitate for one second to toss it and replace it. I just isn't worth the risk of ruining a batch.

I've never seen a food grade bucket for $3, but I still think this is the best idea. Spend the 8 or 10 dollars it costs for a new one and be done with it. You may have scratched it while scrubbing anyway.

It may not be mold.... Do you have iron in your water ? Possibly the standing water precipitated i ferrous iron which would look almost like feathery red blobs and would leave one hell of a stain. Αll this being said get a new bucket though a food grade should run between $16-25 depending where you get it. Better safe than sorry also make sure you dry your buckets completely before sealing next time.

Back