Red ipa help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdutton24

Reaction score
I'm wanting to try a red ipa. Not malty really but a red tint with piney citrus hops. Grain bill.needs work..I'm not sold on the red x malt as apparently it's a multi step.mash and I don't have that capability. Would it be better to use cara red or something like Munich/Vienna with a dark special.malt to get that color? I want it pretty red if possible and I know that difficult to say the least

Malts (11 lb 5.5 oz)
9 lb (79.3%) — Briess Brewers Malt 2-Row — Grain — 1.9 °L
1 lb 4 oz (11%) — BestMalz Red X — Grain — 11.8 °L
12 oz (6.6%) — Caramel/Crystal Malt — Grain — 20 °L
3 oz (1.7%) — Weyermann Carapils/Carafoam — Grain — 2 °L
2.5 oz (1.4%) — Weyermann Carafa Special I — Grain — 320.1 °L

Hops I plan on using Simcoe Chinook Columbus maybe? Dry hop with cascade and Simcoe probably. I might add some citra to flame out and dry hop for aroma and boost citrus notes. Also may just use warrior or Magnum for bittering. Trying to keep ibu around 50-55

1oz Chinook 30 min
1 oz cascade 5 min
2oz Simcoe 1 min
Dry hop 2 oz each of Simcoe and centennial

Yeast I'm thinking wlp 001. I need help thank you guys!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-071219_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220109-071219_Samsung Internet.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 17
This isn't a great picture but it will give you an idea of the color .

Attachments

• 20190923_151208.jpg
    20190923_151208.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
Grain bill.needs work..I'm not sold on the red x malt as apparently
Before the red specialty malts became popular, there was an approach that used small amounts of black malt to get a red color. Vienna lagers (Shell's Fire Brick clone recipe) was one place I looked for inspiration a couple of years ago. Briess has an article for understanding wort color (link). Craft Beer & Brewing's "Make Your Best ..." series (Vienna Lager, Red IPA, ...) was also helpful. Beer clarity will be a contributing factor.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the red specialty malts that I have tried (Red Active Malt was not one of them). On rare occasion, I have had a Red IPA (hoppy, not malty) and a "Double Red" / "Imperial Amber" (hoppy and malty) at the time from the same brewery - for me, they are noticeably different beers. If I were to revisit the idea of a Red IPA, I would continue down the 'black malt for coloring path' with an emphasis on beer clarity.

150 to 152 is what I mashed at for 60 if i remember .
Before the red specialty malts became popular, there was an approach that used small amounts of black malt to get a red color. Vienna lagers (Shell's Fire Brick clone recipe) was one place I looked for inspiration a couple of years ago. Briess has an article for understanding wort color (link). Craft Beer & Brewing's "Make Your Best ..." series (Vienna Lager, Red IPA, ...) was also helpful. Beer clarity will be a contributing factor.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the red specialty malts that I have tried (Red Active Malt was not one of them). On rare occasion, I have had a Red IPA (hoppy, not malty) and a "Double Red" / "Imperial Amber" (hoppy and malty) at the time from the same brewery - for me, they are noticeably different beers. If I were to revisit the idea of a Red IPA, I would continue down the 'black malt for coloring path' with an emphasis on beer clarity.
That makes sense. I don't mind some maltiness but I am kinda worried that using 100 percent red malt will mute alot of hop aroma and flavor. I really want superb head retention

That makes sense. I don't mind some maltiness but I am kinda worried that using 100 percent red malt will mute alot of hop aroma and flavor. I really want superb head retention

You won't be disappointed. Was very happy with the beer . As you can see from the photo head retention and lacing wasn't a problem. This malt was meant to be used as a base grain and 100% of your grain bill. After a little bit in the keg it really cleared up . I don't use fining agents .

Red-x does not require a step mash in my experience. Had great results with 90% red-x, 5% cara red and 5% biscuit. Friends went nuts for it.

Back