Red Double IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't usually brew many big hoppy beers, but a good friend of mine loves them and I've been working on a recipe to make. A little background, I drive a red/orange forklift at work, that's where the red comes in. The number on the forklift is 1096, thus the 1.096 OG. I think it'll be hoppy enough, I'm most concerned with hitting the red color:

OG 1.096
Mash at 149°F
Batch Size 4 gallons

11.4# 2 Row
1# CaraRed
0.5# CaraPils
2 OZ Roasted Barley
1# Table Sugar
2 oz CTZ FWH Boil 60 min
2 oz Chinook Boil 5 min
2 oz Cascade Boil 5 min
2 oz Amarillo Dry Hop
2 oz Cascade Dry hop
2 packs of S-05

Any suggestions?

Oh it will be hoppy! Ballpark of 160 IBU not that you will get 160 but damn that's 10 oz of hops for a 4 gallon batch. Call it...The Face Inploder

bitter or hoppy? 2 oz CTZ @60 is a lot of bite. Not complaining, I like a lot of bite. You cold probably move an ounce of that to 10 min, still get a ton of bitter, and a bit more hop flavor

Oh it will be hoppy! Ballpark of 160 IBU not that you will get 160 but damn that's 10 oz of hops for a 4 gallon batch. Call it...The Face Inploder
Most of the hops are older, but have been stored frozen and vacuum sealed. Beersmith puts it at 110 IBU's with the hop aging tool.

bitter or hoppy? 2 oz CTZ @60 is a lot of bite. Not complaining, I like a lot of bite. You cold probably move an ounce of that to 10 min, still get a ton of bitter, and a bit more hop flavor

Thanks for the idea. As I stated above, most of the hops are older but have been stored properly. I originally had the 60 minute addition at 1.75 oz, I'll take another look at that.

I am not sure about color, but I would assume more body. You come up with a name for your beer yet? I’d personally prefer honey at flame out instead of sugar. Also I’d prefer Simcoe over Chinook because my favorite Red IPA “MS Fire Ant” has loads of Simcoe. Just my preference.

Little Red Forklift

Last edited:
Back