Reculturing and mixing bottle yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
I'm thinking of experimenting. I'm looking to reculture yeast from 2 different belgian ales together.
I've never recultured before, so I guess it's a double experiment.

So, there are three possible answers here...

1. "That's stupid, they are going to kill each other, and/or just suck!"

2. "Good idea, you may create your very own awesome strain!"

3. "Who knows !?!"

So, which is it?

5. You will try it out, let us know how it is, and if good, let us know the bottles you took from and the recipe so we can try ourselves.

7. Yeast #1: I think I'm in love!
Yeast #2: Me too. Too bad we reproduce by budding.
Yeast #1: Mmmmm, budding...
Yeast #2: I know, right?

:D

I am actually using a Belgian blend (White Labs WLP 575) in my latest batch. I'll be curious to hear how yours turns out.

7. Yeast #1: I think I'm in love!
Yeast #2: Me too. Too bad we reproduce by budding.
Yeast #1: Mmmmm, budding...
Yeast #2: I know, right?
Preferrably, yes, but not necessarily.

Charles Bamforth in "Beer: Tap Into the Art and Science of Brewing" p. 143 said:
Like other single celled organisms, brewing yeast reproduces by cell division...Yeast can also enjoy a healthy sex life, though perhaps sadly for it, this is a less favored means of reproduction.
No further detail really on how to get yeast to sexually reproduce though. Let the great experiment begin!

8. Doesn't matter, because they don't seem to be taking off. :(

It's been about 20 hours, but the starter isn't showing any activity.
Is this normal for bottle culturing, or could the yeast from both bottles be dead?
I made my starter as I normally do. I'll let it sit, and see if something happens.

I'd figure the yeast will reproduce via cell division for a while, until enough alcohol has been produced. At that point, they'll take whatever they can get and will start to interbreed.

Hmmmm....

I think I found my problem.

The two beers where Corsendonk Abbey Pale, and Orval.

I just read that Corsendonk in NOT refermented in the bottle. That must have just been sediment. :eek:

And the Orval was 2 years old. Lovely flavor, but probably dead yeast.

I'm gonna let it sit, because I won't need the flask for a couple of weeks.

Back