Rectangular False bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phlyborn

Reaction score
So I bought a rectangular cooler for a mash tun, which is larger than my 5 gallon round cooler. I was going to make a simple manifold but after a guy at the LHBS had mentioned channeling issues I decided to try and avoid that. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428272324.275227.jpg View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428272367.439438.jpg I have not seen a false bottom in this shape. I made it out of perforated aluminum with stainless eye bolts for standoffs and stainless "U" bolts for handles.
I know aluminum is fine for kettles but is there a potential issue with it in the mash tun?

I would love to know the same about using it in a mash tun.

Looks great though!

Looks really nice. I, too, would like to know how well it works. I don't believe that there would be any issues using aluminum in the MT compared to using it in a BK.

Be careful about those gaps on the edge, maybe will have channeling issues.
I use a fake bottom in my MT, and works well. I used a silicon hose on the edges to avoid those gaps.

Be careful about those gaps on the edge, maybe will have channeling issues.
I use a fake bottom in my MT, and works well. I used a silicon hose on the edges to avoid those gaps.

Thanks for the heads up. Since I've taken those pics I did put hose around the edges. I purposely cut it under sized so I could use hose around it so I wouldn't risk scratching the walls.

It's not anodized, I believe it's just 6061. I was just going to scrub it real good with some bar keepers friend and rinse it well be fore I use it.

Or you could do what is done with a kettle. Put it in a pot of water and boil for 1/2 hour to create an oxidized layer that will keep any metallic taste out of the beer.

Back