Recommended Further Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerCavalry

Reaction score
I just finished John Palmer's How to Brew and I am looking for further reading. I feel like I have a good grasp on many of the concepts, but the chemistry portions were a bit over my head as I didn't take ANY chemistry in College. I am still interested in learning more though as I want to get away from recipes and kits at some point and understand more of the WHY behind many practices. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Background: Getting ready to do my second extract brew with specialty grains with the intention of one day moving to all grain brewing.

All the stickied threads on here, general, extract, yeast, and general techniques have been helpful to me. I've also jumped around via the Similar threads at the bottom!

Books I have currently are How to brew by pamer, building homebrew equipment by lutzen, brewing classic styles by Zainasheff, and true brews by Christensen.

Most of what I learned I did so by doing and reading the heck out of this site. What kind of geek are you? Meaning, what parts do you want to know more on? Process, Recipe Design, or even the Science behind brewing?

Depending on your specific interest, I think the books titled, Yeast, Hops, Water, and Brewing with Wheat (these are all individual books). They cover their specific subject extensively, vs a book that includes a chapter or two on it.

Also, Brew Your Own Magazine has tons of articles published that are really informative. Their magazine (and zymurgy) are packed full too, i've learned quite a lot from reading them. If you can get your hands on older and new publications or pdfs, I'd say they're a great resource too.

"Complete Joy of Homebrewing" should definitely be next on your list.

Surprised nobody said it yet. It's a classic. It's known as the "homebrewing bible" and is where the phrase "relax don't worry have a homebrew" comes from. It's a very good overall book, and has a bit of everything in it. A lot like How to Homebrew, but more in depth and includes recipes too.

I'm currently reading "yeast" by jamil. It's pretty good, but is pretty advanced on the science end so far.

"Complete Joy of Homebrewing" should definitely be next on your list.

Surprised nobody said it yet. It's a classic. It's known as the "homebrewing bible" and is where the phrase "relax don't worry have a homebrew" comes from. It's a very good overall book, and has a bit of everything in it. A lot like How to Homebrew, but more in depth and includes recipes too.

I'm currently reading "yeast" by jamil. It's pretty good, but is pretty advanced on the science end so far.

I have both books, and they're great but they cover the the same material, but differing in how in depth some of them are covered and the authors perspective. Designing Great Beers would probably be a better technical resource instead of a book just like How to Brew.

I definitely want to get Yeast though. It's probably over my head but damned if I don't enjoy that kind of insight!

Radical Brewing is the right brained approach to brewing, very interesting. I never knew what Double mashing was. Great history and ideas, old recipes you've never heard of.
Currently reading "Brewing Engineering" great beer through applied science. I love this so far as it gives data and tables which is exactly what I look for being an engineer myself.

First of all, thanks to everyone for their responses! From what I have been reading it looks like I may have been on the right track. I have been lurking in the forums for a while and it seems there is a great community here.

To clarify: I feel fairly comfortable with the process thus far and understand why certain things are done in vague terms (cooling the wort rapidly to prevent bacterial contamination), but some of Palmer's explanations (especially of Starch Conversion) go over my head. I guess I want to truly learn things so that I don't get into habits of "this is always the way I have done it", a problem I deal with at work too often. That being said, maybe I am trying to go too far into the weeds for a guy who is essentially a manager with a History and Scoiology Degree.

The books I have been looking into next are:

The 3 book Brewing Elements Series: Water, Hops, Yeast
Brewing with Wheat: Hieronymus
Brew Chem 101: Janson
The Homebrewer's Companion: Papazian (The Second edition comes out this fall but I am worried about too much overlap with How to Brew)
Homebrewing Guide: Miller
Designing Great Beers: Daniels

A buddy of mine also said the Brew Strong and Jamil Show Podcasts are also a great resource. I have read the reviews for the Priciples of Brewing Science by Fix and think it may be over my head. I may have to check out Radical Brewing, but it sounds more up my alley.

Currently reading "Brewing Engineering" great beer through applied science. I love this so far as it gives data and tables which is exactly what I look for being an engineer myself.

THAT is one I need to get. I'm an engineer as well, and I would love some good ole' nerdy charts and graphs.

I definitely want to get Yeast though. It's probably over my head but damned if I don't enjoy that kind of insight!

The part i'm in gets WAY over my head. It's talking about different enzymes like alpha-amalyse and beta-amalyse and talks a lot on the cellular level. Like amino acids and protein chains and stuff. But I do have a feeling it will relate it all nicely deeper in the book.

Just finished brew like a pro by Dave miller. Very good practical guide into all grain. Not heavy on science/technical detail at all. It is also very current. Could do with better pictures though. Would give it 4 out of 5.

Back