Recommended, easy, way to remove teflon tape from pipe threads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What are the recommended, easy, ways to remove teflon tape from pipe threads?

Unfortunately, the pump head had begun to leak, producing funny, if not for my brewing, mummies of foam. This, at least to me, is bizarre, as I've brewed 3 times with the pump heads without leaks. Why now?

Oh, well, guess I'm cursed.

This is why I ask. What are the recommended, easy, ways to remove teflon tape from pipe threads? The tape is "glued" onto the threads making removal just about impossible.

Appreciate input.

Thanks.

Brass brush or just a tooth brush, get off as much as comes easily then add new tape and proceed. No real need to get everything off, IMO.

There is no easy way, IME. There is a recommended way: Step 1. Pour a beer. Step 2. Settle in, get stuck into the job and be patient. (And yeah, remember which way is unwinding. That really, really helps.) [emoji6]

Pretty much agree with what is here. I have a pick set that I use (really pointy metal screwdriver). I also hit it a couple of times lightly with the wire brush. If you are worried about scratching, just hit it light in one spot quickly (1 or 2 strokes), a bunch of fibers will stick up that you can grab and unwind. Do that a couple times and it will be cleaned.

Teflon tape should always be applied clockwise, or the same direction in which you would tighten the fitting. Done this way so that it tightens as you tighten the fitting.

Last edited:
Run the correct size die over the threads. If it's the correct die it won't damage your threads, remove Teflon tape, and clean up any burrs on them

This may not apply to your current need but something I discovered when cleaning my equipment is soaking parts with teflon tape still on in my PBW cleaner. I discovered after a bit, I could just unscrew the whole bit of teflon tape altogether. This has saved me so much agony of using a toothbrush, metal brushes, etc. Greatest discovery for me so far.

I've never had an issue getting thread tape out with a finger nail...

Thank you to participants in this thread who were less sarcastic than me. I just broke down some gear for cleaning and reassembly, and found the brass brush was a true miracle method. Easy peasy, job done.

Teflon tape should always be applied clockwise, or the same direction in which you would tighten the fitting. Done this way so that it tightens as you tighten the fitting.

Absolutely wrong. Righty (call it "clockwise") threads should be taped lefty (counterclockwise) so the stub end doesn't "lead" when tightening. Vice-versa for lefty threads...

Cheers!

Absolutely wrong. Righty (call it "clockwise") threads should be taped lefty (counterclockwise) so the stub end doesn't "lead" when tightening. Vice-versa for lefty threads...

Cheers!

Hey, wrong thread, this is the “remove only” thread. [emoji12]
IMG_2558.JPG

lol! Ok, it's all about perspective, they're looking at the fitting end opposite view from when you actually thread it in.
Otoh, if you consider the threaded end in the same orientation as fitted and viewed from "above", it's counter-clockwise wrapping for a clock-wise (right-handed) thread. Always.

wrt removing the tape, an air-compressor with a tight nozzle gun works great to flay every last bit off the fitting...

Cheers!

lol! Ok, it's all about perspective, they're looking at the fitting end opposite view from when you actually thread it in.
Otoh, if you consider the threaded end in the same orientation as fitted and viewed from "above", it's counter-clockwise wrapping for a clock-wise (right-handed) thread. Always.

wrt removing the tape, an air-compressor with a tight nozzle gun works great to flay every last bit off the fitting...

Cheers!
This perspective issue wrt lefty/righty always causes me a momentary brain stutter!

BTW, do you tie a fly in the same direction a wave curls?

Hmm...Relative to the perspective provided <- there and assuming a head-on view - I reckon that's a fact.
Head to the right/tail to the left I'm winding over the top and away - so clockwise head-on...

[edit] Anyway, regardless of visual orientation, the bottom line is you don't want the tag end of the tape to lead when threading in...

Cheers!

This perspective issue wrt lefty/righty always causes me a momentary brain stutter!

BTW, do you tie a fly in the same direction a wave curls?

Hey, that wave @day_trippr now has is awesome!

The question is... is it a left or right breaking wave? [emoji848] [emoji482]

Last edited:
It's just a beautiful picture, my friend. Very calming, no? :)

Cheers!

Yes, great choice.

Just like the pipe treads, the direction of the wave can be interpreted as a left break from shore or a right break from sea.
You have a pic of an awesome right break my friend. [emoji482]

I just love the color and framing. Perfect.
Tbh as we've been in an unseasonable cold snap I've been pining for the Bahamas out islands and the warm waters in a thousand shades of blue.
Cat Island in 2020. Hoping I make it ;)

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back