Recommend brew for aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myelo

Reaction score
A good friend of mine is expecting their first baby in July. I want to make a beer for them that they can age in a bottle for a year to have on the baby's first birthday.

I was considering:
a Barleywine, like Bigfoot's Barley wine from Midwest
Bourbon Barrel Porter from Nothern Brewer

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

A good friend of mine is expecting their first baby in July. I want to make a beer for them that they can age in a bottle for a year to have on the baby's first birthday.

I was considering:
a Barleywine, like Bigfoot's Barley wine from Midwest
Bourbon Barrel Porter from Nothern Brewer

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

The Russian Imperial Stout in JZ's "Brewing Classic Styles" is totally meant to be aged. In a year and a half it would be be ready to drink!

Darkness is overrated and easily tricks. The subtle aged delicacy from a Belgian beer cannot be matched.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm having trouble picking just one so I guess I'll just have to do several.

We'll ask them. Do they like "fruit" tasting beers? Then I would go barley wine. If they like more chocolate and coffee then go with the porter. I myself would love a Bigfoot clone. Never had one.

I had a similar situation over thanksgiving. Wanted to do something with my brother what would take a year of aging so we could enjoy it next year. We went in a direction neither of us had ventured in the past - we mixed up a batch of mead. The neat thing with mead is that at bottling time you can make a few different types. We will be separating it out into gallon jugs to make 1 gallon with strawberries, one with blueberries, on with cherries, one sparkling, and one sweet. I know it's not beer, but something to consider.

RIS, Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong, etc. There are all kinds of styles and variations thereof. I suggest checking out the BJCP Guidelines and simply look for anything over say 9%. Anything with a lot of alcohol is going to age well, except for Hoppy beers. They tend to be best fresh.

You could also do up a mead.

Back