Recommend a Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbhy

Reaction score
Looking to buy a new BK. Will be doing 10 gal batches occasionally. Recommendations?

I bought a 15 gallon brew kettle from Spike Brewing a month or so ago. I also do occasional 10 gallon batches but mostly 5, so I had him weld the thermometer at the 3.5 gallon mark so it was still usable for 5 gallon batches. Also had him weld whirlpool ports and all that was very affordable. If you don't want all that then it will be even cheaper. Very sturdy stainless steel kettle. Especially after the new Blichmann G2 kettles came out, I was even more so sold on Spikes kettles.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have 10 Gallon kettles from Spike brewing, came with a thermometer port (was towards the middle of the kettle) and valve port welded on, $170. very good welds and the Stainless is a good gauge, 18 guage if I remember correctly. The only thing I did was remove the Spike brewing label off the kettle when I got it, I didn't want it melting with all the heat on the kettle.

I did drill out the kettles to install an electric heating element, it's been great after 10 brews.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've actually been looking at spike brewing a bit, You certainly can't go wrong with welded fittings. I've been thinking about picking up one of the 80 qt. concord kettles they use and some weldless fittings from brewhardware, but by the time I finish with all that the cost would be about equal to a 16 gallon bayou with a valve.

I'm also thinking about just waiting it out for ss brewing to get their kettles back in stock, they look top notch.

When I have the scratch I'd love to put together an electric kettle. Was it difficult?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Id go with Spike. I don't have one but if i upgrade i will get the 15 gallon kettle they have. The SS tech kettles are weld-less btw. id rather get the spike with welded fittings.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've actually been looking at spike brewing a bit, You certainly can't go wrong with welded fittings. I've been thinking about picking up one of the 80 qt. concord kettles they use and some weldless fittings from brewhardware, but by the time I finish with all that the cost would be about equal to a 16 gallon bayou with a valve.

I'm also thinking about just waiting it out for ss brewing to get their kettles back in stock, they look top notch.

When I have the scratch I'd love to put together an electric kettle. Was it difficult?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nope, not hard at all, I followed Kal's instructions here on modifying the kettles: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

For the large diameter holes, use the punch he suggests and not a step bit. i found the step bits are good for the smaller 1/2 inch holes but for a big hole for the element, the punch did an awesome job.

Back