Recirculation chilling and foaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
Ok, so yesterday I used the jamil method of recirculating wort thru the chiller coils. I followed all instructions and even duplicated placement by looking at pictures of his online. So, I start the action, then I went and grabbed a beer after a perfect brew day. I'm shooting the s*** with my brew partners and look over and I have some creamy foam head on the top of the wort. Did I just ruin my perfect brew day by aerating the wort?

Not at all, unless there was PBW or oxyclean in your chiller. It sounds more like you just did half the work of aerating without trying. Pitch yeast and give it a little mix/shake whatever you normally do.

I was always under the assumption that if you aerate your wort above about 80 degrees you run the risk of oxidation. I'd love to be wrong

erockomania said:
I was always under the assumption that if you aerate your wort above about 80 degrees you run the risk of oxidation. I'd love to be wrong

Hot side aeration has not really proven to be an issue, don't worry about it

Cool, I've read so many posts about that that I've psych'd myself out :)

Thanks!

You need to find out why it frothed up though. Your output for recirculation should be submerged.

The output was near the bottom of the chiller. There seemed to be quite a bit of force which got the whirlpool going fast enough to "roll" the sides which, I'm assuming, is why it frothed. There didn't seem to be any air getting into the lines as they were clamped on pretty well. Maybe I should change the angle to match closer to the shape of the kettle?

I don't have much experience with using a pump in brewing but yes, changing the angle at which it exits into the kettle might help and maybe throttling the pump down would help.

Back