Recirculating wort lauter technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masampson

Reaction score
I heard there is an old English style lauter technique where you essentially fly sparge, but rather than letting the runnings go into a holding tank (or boil tank) you pump it back into your lauter water. Basically, you are lautering with 170 F wort. It seems strange, but it appears to be the only method that I could continual sparge with in my system. Has anyone heard of this or used it? If so, any better detail of the process itself? Do you basically just figure out the entire volume needed for the boil and keep circulating until conversion is complete?

This is done in one of the popular systems around here.. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/countertop-brutus-20-a-131411/

There would be an efficiency limit depending on how much water/grain you're using since it's essentially a no-sparge. The procedure in this system is as you noted - put the whole amount of water you need at the beginning, and re-circulate the whole mash (in this case the recirculating also maintains the temp as it goes through a pot with a heater element). Then just drain the whole thing off and boil.

Latest posts

Back