Recirculating mash - direct fire under my kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopman

Reaction score
Hi there,

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm thinking of upgrading my system soon, and I'd like to go for a recirculation pump on my mash tun. I like direct heat, so far I got good results just using a regular boil kettle to mash, then would transfer into my next vessel through a bag for filtration, pretty much BIAB style.

I noticed than mash tuns with a recirculation pump sold in shops are not compatible with direct heat.

My question is, can I still modify my boil kettle with a pump on the tap and a false bottom for mashing on direct heat? FYI I got a 10 Gal SS Brewtech Kettle.

Once I did that, do I still need to stir with my paddle to avoid any burn at the bottom, or does the pump does enough of a job to keep everything moving (I'm guessing it's best to keep the flow rather low)? Any risk that anything getting through my false bottom causes problems with the pump?

Back