Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I live in the UK and I have just been given loads of American hop from a friend. I have Citra, Williamette and Chinook. I have had a look around on here for recipes using these hops but is there any recommendations from any of you for a good session hoppy beer? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chinook is a high alpha hop and lends well as a bittering hop. It's a bit earthy, piney and grapefruity. Citra is an excellent aroma and flavor hop with a lot of tropical fruit overtones, like mango, lime, melon-like flavors. Willamette is a Fuggle-like hop and is used mainly as an aroma hop. It has a spicey, woody aroma.

IMHO, you have great hops for doing a nice strong IPA.

aiptasia said:
Chinook is a high alpha hop and lends well as a bittering hop. It's a bit earthy, piney and grapefruity. Citra is an excellent aroma and flavor hop with a lot of tropical fruit overtones, like mango, lime, melon-like flavors. Willamette is a Fuggle-like hop and is used mainly as an aroma hop. It has a spicey, woody aroma.

IMHO, you have great hops for doing a nice strong IPA.

Thanks. I have just done a American cascade pale ale and it is excellent. I want to trysting more American beers as I went to beer festival and couldn't move away from the American beer stand.
So I could use chinook as a bittering hop and then the citra as a late addition?

IMHO the Chinook could be used for both bittering and flavor. I would personally be tempted to use the chinook as the bittering hop and the Citra as the flavor/aroma hop in a nice IPA.

Willamette is a different sort of thing. I've used it in English recipe as a sub for Fuggles. Probably good in a brown ale or any English beer, really. But it doesn't have that American IPA type flavor that the other hops have.

I would make 2 beers. An IPA or PA with the Chinook and Citra then an American Brown with the Willamette.

Cheers people. Was just working on a recipe using chinook and citra. American brown sounds good.

Latest posts

Back