Recipe with low ABV, calculated it comes out higher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havinafett

Reaction score
I'm going to be making an oatmeal stout this weekend from a recipe on a calendar I have:

299B9609-24BD-47C9-B83F-8229295D865B_zpsp6veotsj.jpg

looking at the OG and FG, if it came out exactly as the recipe suggests, the beer would be 2.76% ABV

I would like it to be somewhere around 5% so I was thinking about adding some fermentables. To determine how/what I would add I put the recipe as it is into the TastyBrew.com recipe calculator:

ScreenShot2014-11-04at81833PM_zps0d6e21d8.png

The recipe calculator comes up with a different OG - FG and the beer at 5.3%, right around what I want...

My question is, should I bother adding to it or should I just trust the calculator that it will be enough for my preference?

Also, I will be making a 1 liter starter for the brew

The Fg may be in the 1.020 range- but not necessarily. I have had some issues with extract beers stopping at 1.020. But sometimes they have gone lower, to 1.012 for example. My guess, looking at those ingredients, is that your FG will be in the neighborhood of 1.015-1.018.

As far as the OG, you'd get a difference in the OG if you mashed the grains, or if you used dry malt extract vs liquid so it's impossible to say without knowing if you're using liquid or dry extract. Using liquid, your OG is probably more likely, but make sure you have it entered as "partial mash" and not "extract" as in the recipe.

Back