Recipe review please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi all!

I would like to get your opinion on my simple recipe below.
My goal is a balanced ale. It should be bitter but not overwhelming the malt flavor.

Code:
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 21.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 60.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                            %/IBU         
12 lbs 8.0 oz         Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)              90.9 %        
1 lbs 4.0 oz          Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)                     9.1 %         
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min            44.3 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min            16.1 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007)                    

Mash at 152F

Thanks!

Have you used Special-B malt at that high a percentage (9%) before? I love Special-B but I think it could be pretty aggressive in that quantity and at the very least may take a long aging time to mellow. I'm with TheMadKing on the hops too. All Chinook at an IBU number essentially equal to the OG doesn't qualify as producing a "balanced" ale in my book although your definition may be different. IMO it will overwhelm the flavor of that nice MO malt.

This looks pretty close to one of the Can you brew it Arrogant Bastard clone attempts, is that what you modified it from?

This looks pretty close to one of the Can you brew it Arrogant Bastard clone attempts, is that what you modified it from?

Yes, I've got my idea from an Arrogant Bastard recipe, but I dont go to clone it.
I've never used special B before.

I've never used special B before.

Special B has a pretty strong flavor profile, particularly if it's the only adjunct grain you're using. I would cut it to 1/2 lb and add 1/2 lb of something to mellow it out a little, like Biscuit. Using a 1 1/2 lb of Special B, your beer will taste a bit like a raisin beer (which if that's what you're going for, might not be a bad thing).

Other than that, I'd move the first hop addition to 45 minutes, which will give you less bitterness and more flavor from the hops. Plug it into your software to see (YMMV)

Special B has a pretty strong flavor profile, particularly if it's the only adjunct grain you're using. I would cut it to 1/2 lb and add 1/2 lb of something to mellow it out a little, like Biscuit. Using a 1 1/2 lb of Special B, your beer will taste a bit like a raisin beer (which if that's what you're going for, might not be a bad thing).

Other than that, I'd move the first hop addition to 45 minutes, which will give you less bitterness and more flavor from the hops. Plug it into your software to see (YMMV)

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will cut the Special B and combine with another grain. I did not know about the strong flavor. I will work on that and get back....

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will cut the Special B and combine with another grain. I did not know about the strong flavor. I will work on that and get back....

If you want to clone AB, adding more chinook will do it with that grain bill.

But like the others said, if you're not, you'll want to reduce the Special B significantly. It's very intense.

What are you looking for? If you want to do an American amber, you could reduce the special b and add some crystal 40L, and that would be very nice.

If you want to clone AB, adding more chinook will do it with that grain bill.

But like the others said, if you're not, you'll want to reduce the Special B significantly. It's very intense.

What are you looking for? If you want to do an American amber, you could reduce the special b and add some crystal 40L, and that would be very nice.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Yooper. Well, what do I want? Good question! I did a lot of IPAs so far and I made your House Pale Ale (which was very good) and a few stouts and porters.
I wanted to try something new, grains I did not use so far, maybe hops I did not use so far and the WLP007 which I did never use.

I think I like the idea in reducing Special B and adding some crystal. Maybe I’ll go with some UK hops too.

When you go to your local brew shop, see if they'll let you taste the grains. You'll be amazed at the differences in the flavors are, just from roasting them a couple of seconds longer or a few degrees higher.

When you go to your local brew shop, see if they'll let you taste the grains. You'll be amazed at the differences in the flavors are, just from roasting them a couple of seconds longer or a few degrees higher.

If there were a local brew shop. :(
I have to order to taste the grains. I buy base grains in a store 2 hours from here but I order small amounts online.

Back