Recipe Request: Foster's Premium Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmmBeeeerrrr

Reaction score
Foster's Premium Ale
Style: Ordinary Bitter?
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity:?
Final Gravity:?
ABV: 5.5%
IBU:18
Boiling Time:?
Color: Copper

Fermentables:?
Mash Guidelines:?

Yeast:?
PitchRate:? (MilCells/ml/degP)
Ferm Temp:?

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):?
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):?

Tasting Notes:
I am seeing: Sweet caramel malt -> Hop bitterness -> biscuity malt with medium carb & lighter side of medium body mouthfeel.
I do smell some funkyness that it could do without but I would like to get close before making modifications (unless of course the mods are obviously better)

Looking for a recipe close to Foster's Premium Ale that comes in the large green "Oil Can" 25oz. Would someone recommend an all grain recipe/yeast/hops so I can make something close/better than this? I've dug around for quite awhile with no luck and the ratings are all over the place. I've seen this beer referred to as a special bitter so I tried Fullers ESB which was very different. If someone has tried it and knows of an easily found beer that is very close please let me know so I can try them too. I intend on malting/mashing/fermenting and would appreciate some help.

**Updates**
27DEC16 So it seems that with the IBU it's an ordinary bitter, but with a higher ABV. So I'm going to try making several batches with different types of yeast to figure out which one is closest.

07Jan17 My local LHBS put together the ingredients for an ESB similar to Fullers - well it turned out just like Fullers.

FPA.jpg

Last edited:
Before I was a home brewer my friends and I swigged a ton of Foster's and enjoyed it. Now I know it's a mass produced and exported lager with minimal appeal to me.

That being said I have noticed the recipe is mostly unavailable (I have done little searching though). I will try to find something close to it and if I am successful I will post it here.

Back