Recipe Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monghetti

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, looking for a little input here. For my third all grain batch I was going to give EdWorts Robust Porter a shot. Here is the recipe:

11# 2 Row
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 40
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Barley

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes

Add 8 oz. of Malto Dextrin to boil at 20 minutes

Hops.

1 oz. Northern Brewer at 60 min.
0.5 oz Cascade at 60 min.

So, I put all my grains into the mill, ground them, and then realized that I had added a full pound of Roasted Barley instead of 1 OUNCE of it. The guy at the brew shop said it would basically be a stout now. Is this true? Should I expect anything unusual about this brew? If I end up brewing a Stout I'll be happy :)

thoughts appreciated!

Yep, it's definitely a Stout, a stout Stout. If you doubbled your 2 row & hops you'd have 10 gallons of a ~Foreign Extra Stout. 5 gallons is going to be really potent! You could try a partigyle and get a RIS with the first 5 gallons of runnings & a light FES with the second 5 gallons of runnings. You'll need two fermentation vessels & extra yeast. I don't know what else to tell ya. Maybe someone else has a better idea? Good luck!!!

Back