Recipe input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a porter this week for a buddy that comes home from Iraq at the end of May.

I took a recipe for Old Leghumper from a Steve Bader (BYO recipe wizard) column. The problem with it is the recipe is like a 1.067 SG and I want it lower so it doesn't take all summer to age. I've cut down the ingredients a touch, and now I am left with a couple of questions from you guys to see if it will work out. First, should I cut down the chocolate malt? A whole pound seems high to me. FWIW, I subbed the chocolate malt for chocolate wheat as well. I had it on hand. Should I still use the whole pound?

Next is Northern Brewer hops. I don't have any, don't want to get any. Hop substitution charts that I've seen recommend Chinook or Nugget as subs. I have Chinook but I'm concerned that will be too harsh for my buddie's tastes. What else could I use? I have a bunch on hand, just no Nugget or NB. Suggestions would be grand.
One other sub note as well--I only had .25 lb. of carapils so I upped the flaked barley from a 1/2 lb. (cause I have it) for some more body. No?

Here is the recipe, please let me know if you see anything suspect.

Thanks!

Old Leghumper--Thirsty Dog
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.00
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 12.99
Anticipated SRM: 32.9
Anticipated IBU: 34.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
58.3 7.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
12.5 1.50 lbs. Munich Malt(dark) America 1.033 20
8.3 1.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
8.3 1.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
4.2 0.50 lbs. Crystal 150L Great Britain 1.033 150
4.2 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
2.1 0.25 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
2.1 0.25 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 8.00 30.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 6.50 4.4 5 min.

Yeast

I think it looks good. 1# of chocolate is a lot, but some people like it that way. I usually don't use but 1/2#. I've never used chocolate wheat, though. Maybe it'll just give it a nice creamy flavor!!

For the hops, just use a good bittering hop you do have and shoot for between 30-40 IBUs. The flavor will be dominated by the chocolate/munich/crystal malts anyway.

The porters I've made have been 1/2 lb chocolate and 1/2 lb black patent. For my taste, 1 lb of chocolate would be fine. It wouldn't hurt anything to reduce it some either. Maybe increase the 150L crystal to compensate.
I agree with Lil' Sparky about the hops.

Wow - 1/2 lb of black patent is a lot!

It all depends on your taste, though. I don't care for a roasted/burnt taste in my porter, so I stay away from BP and roasted malts (I use it stouts, though). Porters may/may not have any roasted flavor, so go with what you like.

I wouldn't recommend using more then 5% chocolate or 5% black malt in your total grist. Using more then 5% of each may impart a burnt taste which will overshadow the beer. Some malted wheat would also be a good addtion if you have any. HEY now, who doesn't like good head?:)

Now about your hops. It sounds like you don't want to add any NB to this batch. I think Perle makes a fine kettle hop for a porter. Cascade and/or Centennial will also work well for middle and late additons.

i typically use a lb. of chocoalte malt in a porter as i like the taste large quantities of that malt gives, especially in a porter. one of my best beers so far was used a lb. of chocolate in it. as far as hops, i'd go with an english variety if you have it on hand, or anything with a more dominant woodsy/piney character rather than citrus.

drengel said:
i typically use a lb. of chocoalte malt in a porter as i like the taste large quantities of that malt gives, especially in a porter. one of my best beers so far was used a lb. of chocolate in it. as far as hops, i'd go with an english variety if you have it on hand, or anything with a more dominant woodsy/piney character rather than citrus.

English hops...yes....I think I have decided to use Phoenix. Good call.

I agree about lightening up on the Black Patent, and chocolate. If you're not doing a strong/robust porter I would take all of chocolate & barley out but maybe 10% of total

and really - in a porter - you just want a hint of hops i like chinook.

the grain bill looks spot on though

Back