Recipe Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draygon

Reaction score
I am trying to come up with a recipe for a beer that I can make using what I have laying around (5 gallon). All of these things I've accumulated over the years, yes some hops will be old but always kept in my beer fridge. So with that said can you all can help me come up with. Given the LME I have laying around I am trying to make this an easy drinking beer, not too hoppy. Ingredients can include:

LME:
7lbs Marris Otter
6lbs Pilsner

Hops:
1oz German Perle
2oz Galaxy
2oz Falconers
4oz Columbus
2oz Fuggle
1.75oz Norther Brewer
1.75oz Crystal
1oz Willamette
1oz Citra
1oz EK Goldimg
1.5oz Centennial
1.75oz Magnum
1oz Tettnang
1oz Amarillo
1oz Lemondrop
1.5oz Warrior

Yeasts:
Safale 04
White Labs Vermont Ale
White Labs 060 yeast Blend

Random possibilities:
Pink Peppercorns
Saffron

Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
I would do an ESB using the Marris Otter as the base malt. I would bitter with the Fuggle and flavor/aroma with EK Goldings or Williamette. Safale
04 would give you the English character you would be looking for.

I would do an ESB using the Marris Otter as the base malt. I would bitter with the Fuggle and flavor/aroma with EK Goldings or Williamette. Safale

I was actually leaning towards ESB with the maris otter extract before I posted this. Was just seeing if anyone else had something other than that to brew, though mine may be a bit higher in ABV for the style.

Heres what I came up with:
7 lbs Maris Otter Extract [Boil]
5 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract [Boil]
1.50 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.50 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04)

Puts it above style standards for ABV but low on the IBUs. Color may be a bit lite as well.

Little malt and tons of hops. I would do a Maris Otter IPA with Magnum for bittering and Columbus, Citra, Amarillo, Centennial for flavor and aroma. Maybe even adding Galaxy, Crystal and Lemondrop.

Back